Puppy diet

karen15

not for me, more of a curiosity question.

Talking to a friend recently who is getting a new puppy and the breeder recommended diet is chicken (mince, wing or drumstick) three times a day, maybe veges if you have them left over. To me that isn't a balanced diet. Am I wrong thinking that?

• Like 1

Even if the mince contains no bone, I would say that is not only NOT a balanced diet, it is a risky one in that the immune system of the growing puppy is not being assisted. I feed mostly raw, but I am not a fan of single protein source for growing puppies. 

Bottom line, however, is that any diet that a dog thrives on is a good diet for that dog.

• Like 1

Definitely not a balanced raw diet! No organ meat for a start!

I wean my pups onto raw (chicken, beef, kangaroo, pork, lamb, salmon, (combination of mince, on the bone and fillets) hearts, eggs, sardines etc etc) and then transition them to dry food. I recommend 85% premium dry food for the first 12-18 months plus extras including frames, lamb necks, sardines, eggs, organ meat etc. Grow them right the only chance you get!

• Like 5

It's an approx 15kg dog, so not going to end up too big, but yes, the little I've gleaned from DOL discussions on feeding raw is that, unless you know what you're doing, it's best to feed a quality balanced puppy food.

TSD, what you've noted is more what I would have expected for a raw diet. My very limited knowledge says there's ratios you need to follow for a raw diet to be balanced.

thanks for the input guys, I'll be passing it on :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy BARF (frozen) that IS balanced, and it is easy to feed....no mixing or additives necessary.   A no brainer as I used to mix my own and it can get messy.

I use the Big Dog brand and have found it very good.  They have formulas for seniors, maintenance, puppies, etc. as well as different protein sources ie. lamb, chicken, beef, etc.

The drawback with feeding many and varied protein sources is, if your dog develops allergies later on in life the vet will want you to use a 'novel' protein source and things can become difficult.   Of course not all dogs will get allergies!

• Like 2

Balance isn't the only problem.  Mince is often yucky skin, fat globs, and bone--unfit for human consumption and perhaps a bit off-- put through a grinder. I would be careful about feeding it to a pup. Wings and drumsticks are pretty large bones for a puppy and could possibly a choking hazard. Necks and frames are safer.  Plus chicken can carry salmonella, which is dangerous to pups until their immune system are fully developed...the source must be clean, human grade.

Agree with everything above. There is a certain percentage of meat, bone, offal, muscle and sinew which should be provided based on age and weight etc.   Portions don't have to be perfect each day but I think over the course of a week. 

I second Big Dog being a great brand, the ingredient list is fantastic and yes, very convenient.

Thanks for looking out for your friend. Maybe the breeder needs the same education?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he just wanted to imply that dog ownership won't cost him a lot...Since he mentioned only chicken and veges leftovers (if you have them?)...?

However, I believe that it has to be more balanced than that, the food I choose usually contain duck, kangaroo, chicken, and except meat there are carrot, kale, broccoli etc....