Cologne for dogs? Miniature bulldog inspires Kevin, the Fragrance, for man's best friend

Boronia

I can't seem to post the photos so you'll need to click on the link,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-07/kevin-the-bulldog-inspires-cologne-for-dogs/9123872?section=good-news

Updated Tuesday at 07:02
First posted Tuesday at 07:01

There is a new brand of toiletries in town that's going off called Kevin, the Fragrance, and it comes as special macadamia oil shampoo or minty-fresh cologne.

Except this new, exclusive range of fragrant product is not for the man or woman in your life, it is for your best friend — your dog.

The inspiration behind Kevin is none other than Kevin, a miniature Australian bulldog belonging to Coolum vet Dr Dan Capps.

Dr Capps said Kevin was such a little celebrity in his surgery he decided to do for Kevin what other managers did for their famous clients, he created a toiletry range for him.

It came with its own pre-release tease promising "the largest announcement" in the history of the practice.

And then there was an official press release.

"Joining the realm of names of stature such as Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Armani and Delta, comes a new cologne, a new fragrance, a new definition of class, sophistication and style with the arrival of Kevin," it gushed.

The press release even included "a statement from Kevin":

While I was recovering from surgery, I was constantly thinking how can I connect with my fans. And then it came to me, give them a smell that defines me.

Macadamia oil, 'cause macadamias are toxic to dogs and I like to live on the edge, and vanilla 'cause I'm sweet and I like the ice-cream and Kakadu plum extract 'cause it sounds expensive.

Dog cologne created for charity

Dr Capps created Kevin, the Fragrance, purely as a quirky one-off product to raise funds for the Wildlife Volunteers Association (WILVOS) on the Sunshine Coast.

But he has been so surprised by the demand he has had to make more.

"It's gone crazy, it was only supposed to be a one-off, but people keep asking for it. I had some guy come into the surgery at 7:30am just looking for it," he said.

Not even the slightly upmarket, trendy price tag seemed to be turning people off.

The fragrance cost $15.35 a bottle and the shampoo cost $16.89.

There was no hidden meaning in the unusual costings.

"We took what it cost to make the product and then added $5 to make some money for WILVOS," Dr Capps said.

Kevin was not the kind of celebrity to make a product and not wear it.

"Kevin only wears Kevin. Thanks to Kevin, Kevin smells a whole lot better," Dr Capps said.

Dr Capps was not aware of any other individualised cologne range for dogs.

If Kevin was fazed by the hundreds of adoring new fans attracted to his product range, he was not showing it.

Thankfully Kevin, the Fragrance, also came with a disclaimer: "This product does not contain any extract of Kevin, nor smell like Kevin".

• Haha 1

At first I thought how ridiculous but then I actually read the article and realised it was a media beat up again.

Not actually a fragrance as such, but a scented shampoo and leave on spray conditioner which is somewhat more sensible, plus all profits are going to wildlife rescue. Originally it was a tongue-in-cheek once-off fundraiser, a major capital investment so quite a big risk. It has been so successful he has had to do another production run. Good on him!

If nothing else, the article will give the products a major boost.:)