Bleeding paw first aid

Just need a bit of advice...

last night I let dogs out for wees before bed, Monty came in and went to bed all fine. I saw some blood on the floor and then saw some on his bed (just a tiny bit) and I turned the light on and his paw was all bloody. He wouldn’t let me clean it up or anything so I sprayed a bunch of wound guard on it, wrapped with gauze then with vetwrap to stick it on... 

Didnt get a chance to get into vet today, plus he’s learning not to be dog reactive so vet visits are a bit of an adventure. I looked at it today and I think he split the claw close to the paw, not sure if I should take him in or not.

Otherwise anyone have any good bandaging tips? Or is it fine uncovered? 

Cheers, S&M

I would have washed the paw in warm water, then patted it dry and used styptic powder. If the bleeding didn't stop in a few minutes, I would have thrown on more powder, which usually works. Sometimes you will need to clip away the broken part of the nail, if he won't let you do that, maybe a vet visit will be needed.

If you don't have styptic powder,  using a disinfectant like Betadine after washing (you need to wash to rinse any dirt out) would be the next best thing.

Just be careful with bandaging the paw that circulation to the area doesn't get restricted if it swells.

If you see any significant swelling or any sign of infection, then vet visit is needed, but if it's washed and anti sepsis of some kind is applied, it will usually heal right up and you won't need a vet.

• Like 2

Thanks RP :) 

I should get some styptic powder for the first aid kit. 

I’ve been trying to keep it clean (he has too... keeps licking it!) and I’ve been using a spray which has an antibacterial in, sort of like betadine/Dettol for dogs. I’ve left it unwrapped now, last night I just did a loose bandage to make sure nothing got in/blood didn’t go everywhere. I still can’t get a good look, I doubt a vet would be able to either without sedating him. Such a wiggle worm, he tries to pull his paw out of your hand and fidget. He might’ve just stepped on a pine cone or stick and stabbed right up under the base of his claw, or got it stuck in something... :( 

• 2 weeks later...

It had seemed to heal up, and I was soaking it in saline every day to clean it out, and using some antibacterial ointment, but the other day it started bleeding again. We went to the vet and he said it’s just going to crack further at that stage. So he had to sedate him & clip the whole claw off. Poor little Monty was super groggy and was trying to go back to sleep in really weird places this afternoon. They used vet wrap that said “stud muffin” and another said “had a ruff day” :laugh:

The first bandage lasted all of an hour and we had to duck back in and get her to redo it a bit more heavy duty. 

So he’s on metacam & antibiotics too so fingers crossed he’s back to normal soon. :heart:

Yes I'm sorry I should have said rule of thumb is that if it isn't completely healed in two or three days, then off to the vet. If he's tearing his bandage you might need the old cone for a week or so.

Should clear up nicely now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuralPug said:

Yes I'm sorry I should have said rule of thumb is that if it isn't completely healed in two or three days, then off to the vet. If he's tearing his bandage you might need the old cone for a week or so.

Should clear up nicely now.

Thanks RP. Yeah it seemed to be almost healed within a few days and wasn’t pussy or bleeding etc and was quite clean but he re-cracked it and was bleeding again the day before and that was the soonest appointment they had. 

The bandages I was doing slipped down, I thought it was my dodgy skills, but the one the vet did slipped down too. So that’s why we had to redo it. The 2nd one had tape and was taped to his fur (he’s a staffy so not too bad) but it still managed to slip down... 

He just managed to make the quick (the only bit left after the vet cut it off) bleed again. 

Not sure what to do... vet said bandage had to come off after 2 days because keeping it damp would not let the nerves heal (?) and would cause more pain.

But if it’s reopened should I bandage it for the night or so?

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Sorry I've been off line. I'm sure you've sorted it by now.
I would have done the styptic powder again. In a pinch you can plug bleeding quicks by pressing them into a bar of soap, although it sounds like your boy doesn't much like his feet handled, you might need to work on that to avoid future broken nails being such an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

Sorry I've been off line. I'm sure you've sorted it by now.
I would have done the styptic powder again. In a pinch you can plug bleeding quicks by pressing them into a bar of soap, although it sounds like your boy doesn't much like his feet handled, you might need to work on that to avoid future broken nails being such an issue.

Thanks RP :) 

It sorted itself out and stopped bleeding pretty quick with no issues. He is usually fine with his feet being handled, just squirms/pulls his feet which mades it difficult. He’s getting worse, I’ve been practicing handling his paws & getting used to nail clipping since the day a I took him home though. Scrappi is terrible, I’m actually considering just getting him sedated & nails clipped at the vets. :( I’ve been trying to condition the clippers to be good and paw handling to be good for years but not much progress. I’ll have him sleeping on me, having a cuddle and paw handling, and getting comfy with nail clippers being around, then can clip one claw. But often if he realises he will squirm like mad and squeal like a pig, even if I haven’t touched the claw! :( 

Only able to cut one claw every few months...  plus the claws probably further effect his terrible “ballerina feet” that stick out east-west. :( (But that’s also genetic unfortunately) They’re not awful, they don’t get any longer really, but it would be best to get them done. Sigh. 

Have you tried dremel? Bunnings brand Ozito has a rotary tool the same as Dremel with the added plus of being 1/3 price and the kit includes an extension flex which means the motor is almost a meter away from the filing end, easier for dogs to get used to. :)

• Like 2