Gentle Giant Breed Recommendation!?

Sam&Saki

Hey all, long time no see! Hope I'm not posting the wrong thing in the wrong place or driving you all nuts with your least favourite thread topic ;)

I'm after breed recommendations for a:

-Large or preferably giant breed

-Low to medium energy - happy with a daily slow to mid-paced half hour walk (plus play and training sessions of course)

- Happy to be inside, on the bed, on the couch, beloved spoiled family dog - (but with mid-large suburban backyard with shaded deck and 8 foot fences)

-Affectionate

-Preferably not a short-lived breed riddled with health problems (of course we know there's no crystal ball for this.)

My partner of 8 years has always wanted his own gentle giant doggo, but is unsure of breed. He is a strong, solid 6'4" giant himself but has a bad ankle (read: held together with metal pins and significantly atrophied muscle) which means he can't power-walk or run, or walk a dog that is likely to jump and change direction unexpectedly, or trip him over.

He desperately wanted a British Bulldog (although they're smaller than his ideal) until seeing a friends' BB suffering from hip and elbow dysplasia in all 4 limbs at only 2 years old, which utterly broke his heart. Now he has his heart fixed on a Neapolitan Mastiff but I fear they may not be as lazy and gentle as he thinks, and may be just as likely to be short-lived and have health problems :( He also likes the idea of a Dogue De Bordeaux which I know next to nothing about. I'm wondering if a Newfie or Bullmastiff might be better but not sure if too energetic as pups.

This is all very hypothetical as my 10 year old Akita is our pride and joy and we'd be unlikely to get another dog in her lifetime, unless we found a pup/rescue who she really got along with. But he's starting to think about getting waitlisted with a breeder in future. And if anyone has any tips he'd be thrill to have more breed options to read up on.

Thanks all :) x

I'd go for a male Great Dane from a reputable breeder who health tests. Be prepared to wait for a puppy. 

Mind you, giant breeds and not long lived tend to go hand in hand though. 

Males are sookier - there are temperament issues in some lines so that's why research in breeder is critical. 

Generally low low energy aside from a daily walk. That said - my 9.5 year is still an energiser bunny and has been known to tire an Malinois out...

I don't know for sure,  but first reaction would be a Rottweiler, but maybe an adult re-home.  (Not sure on the whole 30 minutes walk thing & are think they're "just" big)

Another thought,  while not exactly giant, would be a retired greyhound - nice & big & generally low energy levels beyond a daily walk. 

• Like 2

In general, giant breeds are short lived and have numerous health problems.  I'd recommend looking up any breed you are considering on

https://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmEtusivu.aspx?R=186

Scroll to group and breed, then select health stats.  Cause of death is particularly interesting...you'll find the Neo, for example, has an average lifespan of only 5 yr 1 mo.

Strange to recommend a Finnish database, but sadly, the Finnish Kennel Club is the only source in the world (happy to be corrected if anyone knows of another) that tracks and makes public, data on health of ALl registered pedigree dogs.  Lifspans well under 8 yrs and high incidence of skeletal problems seem to be sad aspects of the big mollasser breeds (if I remember correctly, the Tibetan Mastiff is one exception, but the temperament doesn't fit your description.... likewise for the large livestock guardian breeds).  Lifespans under 6 years are sadly common.

I would avoid all giant breeds and look at large dogs, like the Greyhound, rotti, etc.  Greyhounds seem like a good fit cause they are typically sweet, affectionate, and lazy...but happy to go out for walkies.  But maybe you want something beefier?

Edited by sandgrubber
More information
  • Like 1

Maybe have a look at the Newfoundland. They slobber, which would stop me ever owning one, but if you can deal with that they might be a good fit. Also the Bernese Mountain Dog, but I believe they often have a shorter life span.

Edited by Diva

What relevance does a Finnish database have for Australian bred dogs. 

Yes giants may not love as long but you're looking at 9-11 years on average for a Dane and in that time you are more than repaid for having them in your life. 

There is nothing quite like a giant breed!

2 hours ago, Danois said:

What relevance does a Finnish database have for Australian bred dogs. 

Most reported breed lifespans are rubbish.  People reporting how long their dogs live tend to leave off the puppy that didn't make it to two years.  Many numbers you hear reported (eg those used by breed clubs) have no clear statistical origin and probably only account for the  healthy dogs that live to old age.  The Finnish database is, to my knowledge, the only data around that consider ALL registered pedigree dogs.  Scandinavians are generally quite selective about breed stock ... I don't see any reason that the average lifespan for dogs of some breed would be higher in Oz than Finnland.

2 hours ago, Danois said:

There is nothing quite like a giant breed!

• Like 2

All the giant breeds have a shorter lifespan than average across all breeds. The heart is only designed to pump a given amount of litres of blood before it expires, and of course in a giant breed you are moving more blood over a larger area so that limit is reached faster.

Most of the giant breeds are relatively more energetic as pups, so you might be better off getting a well-trained adult that doesn't pull or lunge on leash. Something to consider no matter what breed.

The best breeders test their stock for eyes, hearts, hips and elbows in giants, so steer clear of any breeder that does not health test. 

For some reason (maybe because you "speak" Akita :laugh:) I want to recommend a Tibetan Mastiff to you. The ones in this country are generally fairly healthy. :) If you want away from the spitz temperament, then consider the "English" Mastiff but be careful in selecting a breeder that does health test.

Edited by RuralPug

I'd second the Great Dane (just watch out for those tails, they can clear a coffee table in one wag :laugh::)....more floofier and stockier would be Bernese Mountain Dog :love: or St. Bernard (if you don't mind the grooming, and lots of drool slobber from the SB) 

Start saving now I reckon, not sure of the different breeds price ranges, but like most pedigrees, several thousand. I've always wanted a Bernese or Newfie,  but the cost will forever be out of my reach, unless I win Lotto.  :laugh:

Edited by Cazablanca

I have never owned a Giant but my friend has Woflhounds if you have deep pockets for vet fees they are just wonderful dogs. Friends dogs are gorgeous and just really love you when they know you. The first one I met of hers accepted me into his family and that was wonderful. But they are short lived and do cost heaps when you go to the vets, in knowing all that if I was a stronger person and had the money I would love one.

But like all dogs you have to be careful who you buy from and make sure they health test. My friend has a beautiful young bitch, an older bitch and two rescues who have downright lovely temprements but lots of health issues.

So you obviously need some space, strength and good dog skills to work with these lovely dogs.

PS to say these dogs bond really closely and love you and your family to bits, that's one of the things they were designed for. and one of the things I love most about them.

Edited by gillybob

Leonberger? I don't know their activity levels although there is one living around here in quite high density and he just plods along with his owner. Lots of hair though!

I met some at a Pet Expo once, they were lovely. Just sprawled around getting adored by passers by.

I recommend you attend a couple of dog shows to meet some breeds in person and chat to breed experts. 

I wouldn't recommend a Great Dane if you want long-lived, although not many giants are.  My last oldie passed at 13, however, she was smaller at 29".  It's often said that it unlikely they get into the double digits or if they do, it's not pretty i.e. mobility and health issues - generally, the bigger they are, the harder they fall and there has been an upward trend in taller Great Danes.  It wasn't all that long ago that the average male in the ring was 34" and now that's more like 37"+.

We're seeing the breed become more and more emotionally sensitive which is also leading to an increase in fear-based aggression - certainly a trait you do not want to see in a giant dog.

Good luck with your search.  I'd recommend you head out to some dog shows and meet the dogs and their breeders :)

2 hours ago, gillybob said:

I have never owned a Giant but my friend has Woflhounds if you have deep pockets for vet fees they are just wonderful dogs.

Very VERY deep. A girlfriend had one. Huge food allergies - he was really only happy on Ziwipeak, had a leg amputation just shy of 3 years due to bone cancer & was PTS 6 months later :(

My choice for a larger breed, easy going and easy to live with, would be a Bernese Mountain Dog.    The ones I know will do as much or as little as you want, are enormously affectionate, usually get along pretty well with creatures large and small.   They enjoy doing "stuff" with their owners (ones I know do DWD, herding, drafting, obedience etc. .. but to my observation are not demanding about it.  As with any breed, researching and building up a relationship with a good breeder are key.   The lifespan in Oz at least has got longer .. but as has been said, giant/large breed on average  is going to be shorter than medium or small breeds.

• Like 1

I agree with the very deep pockets required for a dane (or any giant breed).  Just for normal meds etc, you pay more as they require larger doses.

We've had 2 danes and a greyhound, and over 13 years spent over $50K at the vets.  This was due to health issues, allergies, anxiety and few operations, and palliative care for cancer. 

Even with that, we would not have not had the dogs in hindsight, as they were all awesome beings and brought us so much joy.

If you are prepared for the possible costs, great danes are well worth it, but make sure that you talk to many people to sort out the good breeders from the bad. 

Greyhounds are awesome as well, although not a giant breed.

ETA: Our last dane lived to 11 years and 8 months with cancer for the last 6 months or so.

Edited by Flashsmum

deerhounds are a great option but I think the simp,e reality is giant breeds struggle in old age simply due to there size so age and quality is a different package .

But in the scheme of partners issues sounds like a small dog would be a better fit 

There are three Bernese who walk past my place everyday, lovely black dogs that seem healthy and happy he has walked them up my street since Ive been here. The third is a teenager now and lovely as well. They carry their own slobber rags! My dogs yell at them every day.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 9:18 AM, Powerlegs said:

Leonberger? I don't know their activity levels although there is one living around here in quite high density and he just plods along with his owner. Lots of hair though!

I met some at a Pet Expo once, they were lovely. Just sprawled around getting adored by passers by.

I recommend you attend a couple of dog shows to meet some breeds in person and chat to breed experts. 

I second a Leo, beautiful dogs :D

--Lhok

• Like 1