Gentle Giant Breed Recommendation!?

Sam&Saki

On 16/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, Akayla said:

Bernese are gorgeous dogs but if you want a dog that walks slowly I think Newf would be the one for you.  Slowest walking dogs Ive ever known :laugh:  

Geez you must have known different Newfoundlands than I have! They would leave a Mastiff for dead! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

I have to recommend the mastiff. I have one who is now 16 months and I have found my breed I think. She is not what you are describing though - not many giant breeds are. They do not live long lives, so if that is your priority get a mini dachshund or an ACD. They are lower energy and love to snooze on the couch, but only once they have passed puppyhood. Briar does everything slowly, but she loves running at the park or beach and playing just like any other puppy. She does not always stop in time, so you need to watch out! There is nothing.....and I mean nothing.....like a Mastiff hug. It is a full body exercise, and there is just so much floppy, velvety skin to bury yourself in. She leans in and rests her huge head on your chest or shoulder and it is heaven. She loves nothing more than being with us and that is her whole family, canine, human and extended. Although she is docile, she is wary of strangers and doesn’t often let them pat her. She farts, sheds, drools and leaves huge poops around the yard. She barks so loudly that it hurts your ears. She takes up the whole bed, couch, hallway, car or whatever. At the moment I have a broken fingertip (grabbed her collar at the park), a bruised arm (something surprised her when I had the leash looped over my arm) and a massive scratch that extends from the top of my left breast right down to my hip (she got excited and jumped up while I was getting her breakfast). She is expensive.....very expensive. But she is worth all of it. We just adore her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you are interested or not or if this dog has already been spoken for but this beautiful dog is in need at the DAS pound in Canberra (ph 132281).  http://www.tccs.act.gov.au/city-living/pets/dogs/lost-dogs/impounded_dogs?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuZG9tZXN0aWNhbmltYWxzLmFjdC5nb3YuYXUlMkZJbXBvdW5kLmFzcCUzRkFjdGlvbiUzRFVQRF9JUCUyNlBvdW5kSWQlM0QzOTU5NSZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

Edited to update: The above dog is no longer at the pound. It looks as if it was adopted.

Edited by sarsplodicus

You lot are wretches - just when I'd almost decided a greyhound would be my next dog you post all these absolutely huge slobbering cuties!  AAAHHHHH!!!  Adore these lumbering giants!   

Wonder how my westie Andy (puppy farm rescue and a bit of a woose might get on with a big dog?    

• Like 1

Friends of ours have Great Danes - they've had 4 at once, but the lifespan is a heartbreaker, yet they will always get another.

just make sure you get from a good breeder, as we've seen GDs the size of Labradors and no it wasn't a pup.

we also have friends who breed Bernese mountain dogs and they are gorgeous! They also have a fantastic St Bernard who is gigantic, but so gentle.

id love to get a Bernese, but I like a dog who can be inside / outside when we're not home for protection and we have lots of stairs.

on Sunday we went into a kitchen shop in Sydney and they had a sweet tempered Marema... I had to keep saying no to the husband we aren't getting a Marema! :laugh:

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 1