Opinions on new tinned raw food

https://shoonatural.com/pages/rocketo-raw-ketogenic-dog-food/?utm_source=FB+LEAD+AD&utm_medium=RETARGETING+%2F+TRAFFIC

I just saw an ad saying Shoo is releasing a new product; a tinned raw food by the looks of it. I’m assuming it doesn’t need to be refrigerated so that’s really appealing... plus I’m all for raw food! I wouldn’t buy it often as it seems a bit on the higher priced side, but it might be handy to keep for emergencies/road trips etc.

(ETA: plus their packaging is really really nice :laugh: maybe it’s just a team of designers)

BUT upon further reading they keep talking about “ketogenic” and toxins and cancer free and ketones and that kind of jazz.... seems gimmicky and a bit unresearched (despite their repeated mentions of all their research...) 

So I was wondering what you all thought of it, I’m not sure if I should buy into the hype..! :confused:

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

To me it reads like they're taking the piss. Quotes from the Huffington Post and Daily Mail at the start probably put me in that frame of mind and what I read subsequently was read with that slant. The poor grammar did nothing to improve my thoughts.

• Like 1

canned and raw  don't seem to go together AT ALL . Raw is raw is uncooked... AFAIK 
not sure in which country this food is produced .. but on my skim read ..there are enough spelling/grammatical errors to make me  wonder. 

to CAN/preserve food ..it is pressure COOKED in-can.
how can it be raw ? 
maybe they mean "natural" ?"raw" as in without something? 

if anyone solves the mystery , I'd be happy to learn something new :) this has me intrigued .

Edited by persephone
  • Like 7

35% fat, 17% protein?  Sounds great if you want weight gain and pancreatitis.  Given that fat has nearly twice the energy density as protein, this would result in the dog getting roughly 4 times as much energy from fat as from protein.

I don't get why people think carbs are so bad for dogs.

Edited by sandgrubber
Further thoughts
  • Like 2

Dear dog lovers,

My name is Agota. I'm a founder of SHOO Natural and Rocketo dog food. 

First of all, I'm super excited that you are interested in our products and I'm especially happy for your questions! 

I'm a dog lover not a business woman, so each of your concern helps me to grow and learn from my mistakes. 

Let me answer all of your questions one by one.

Agota

11 hours ago, JulesP said:

Ketogenic is a strange word to use when talking about dog food.. You eat a ketogenic  diet to go into ketosis. I guess low carb doesn't sound as sexy. 

Just plain silly. 

I did a little searching on ketogenic diets for dogs.  To my surprise, there is some clinical evidence indicating that, in some cases, ketosis is helpful for control of epilepsy.  Could find no clinical evidence that it is helpful for  cancer or weight loss in dogs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I did a little searching on ketogenic diets for dogs.  To my surprise, there is some clinical evidence indicating that, in some cases, ketosis is helpful for control of epilepsy.  Could find no clinical evidence that it is helpful for  cancer or weight loss in dogs.

My argument would be that a high protein diet would be normal for a dog therefore their bodies wouldn't go into ketosis the way a human does. Or rather ketosis doesn't apply to them. 

Silly marketing ploy using catch phrases to suck people in. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Agota Jakutyte said:

Dear dog lovers,

First of all, I'm super excited that you are interested in our products and I'm especially happy for your questions! 

I'm a dog lover not a business woman, so each of your concern helps me to grow and learn from my mistakes. 

Agota

What is the science behind your food?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Agota Jakutyte said:

Dear dog lovers,

Agota

How does the raw food work in a can? Would it still require refrigeration? 

Also, what are the ingredients in the product? Will that be released soon? 

I think the grooming products look good, and their packaging designs and reasoning behind the products is awesome. Just this new food (which seems to be a sub-brand) is a bit confusing, if it’s good it would be amazing. Just not sure about the appropriateness of the diet with the very high fat content and this “ketogenic” ratio. Would love to know more...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thistle the dog said:

Such small cans...u_u i'd kill for a nice wet dog food with minimal packaging. So much plastic and metal cans in my recycling!

They look to be decent sized for a little dog (like the pug in the picture) but yeah with bigger dogs it would be a pain. Only cheap crap brands seem to have big tins. We don’t even bother with canned food anymore. 

On 15/11/2017 at 11:31 AM, Scrappi&Monty said:

https://shoonatural.com/pages/rocketo-raw-ketogenic-dog-food/?utm_source=FB+LEAD+AD&utm_medium=RETARGETING+%2F+TRAFFIC

I just saw an ad saying Shoo is releasing a new product; a tinned raw food by the looks of it. I’m assuming it doesn’t need to be refrigerated so that’s really appealing... plus I’m all for raw food! I wouldn’t buy it often as it seems a bit on the higher/overpriced side, but it might be handy to keep for emergencies/road trips etc.

(ETA: plus their packaging is really nice :laugh:)

BUT upon further reading they keep talking about “ketogenic” and toxins and cancer free and ketones and that kind of jazz.... seems gimmicky and a bit unresearched (despite their repeated mentions of all their research...) 

So I was wondering what you all thought of it, I’m not sure if I should buy into the hype..! :confused:

12 hours ago, persephone said:

canned and raw  don't seem to go together AT ALL . Raw is raw is uncooked... AFAIK 
not sure in which country this food is produced .. but on my skim read ..there are enough spelling/grammatical errors to make me  wonder. 

to CAN/preserve food ..it is pressure COOKED in-can.
how can it be raw ? 
maybe they mean "natural" ?"raw" as in without something? 

if anyone solves the mystery , I'd be happy to learn something new :) this has me intrigued .

Dear Srappy, Monty & Persephone,

Let me shortly describe the technology we use to make long-lasting/raw/ketogenic food.

First of all, let us all agree what RAW really means. * RAW - Means that no food is heated above 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius). Foods are eaten fresh, dehydrated with low heat or fermented.

ROCKETO is manufactured using old French “confit” technique when food is cooked slowly in fat with low temperature (under 40°C / 104°F) over a long period of time. After salting and cooking in the fat with low temperature, sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, “confit” can last for several months or years and still retain all nutrient features as before preparation.