Dog walking & summer heat

kwirky

Our golden retriever, Murphy, loves walking and goes 2 or 3 times a day. He is 3 1/2 years old and in good physical shape.

If he wants to go for a walk he is very insistent and will not let up until he gets his own way.

Now that the heat of summer has come to Melbourne, I am trying to figure out what is best for him, versus what he wants. We walk every morning at about 5am and usually at 5.30pm on week nights after work (he gets a lunchtime walk on weekends as well). When it is hot I would like to take him about 7.30pm once the sun has started to go down. The problem is that Murphy is very routine orientated and wants to still go straight after work instead of waiting until later.

How can I train him to be more cooperative (ha ha ha)? We do have and use a cooling vest when it is 30 or more but I am worried about health and paws. 

thanks

My boy was a bit like that.  Some trick training, some scent work & a few other things (like gentle conditioning exercises ) helped a bit - especially if the late walk did come. 

We also tried to stagger his routine. Not always successfully, but we tried hard to make sure he wasn't out the door at 4pm sharp every day (when the dog clock would go off). 

The final thing is you know best! Hard to remember when you're being harassed - but if it's just too hot its too hot & you need to train yourself to ignore him ;) 

• Like 2

Your dog doesn’t set the rules you do,how do you change easy it’s your terms not the dogs,look at other enrichment ideas because your dog will have days if it hasn’t happened already where a walk just isn’t going to happen,the world won’t end and the dog doesn’t get what it wants .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Your dog doesn’t set the rules you do,how do you change easy it’s your terms not the dogs,look at other enrichment ideas because your dog will have days if it hasn’t happened already where a walk just isn’t going to happen,the world won’t end and the dog doesn’t get what it wants .

I do agree & I said similar above  (re: owner knowing what's best for dog). But, easier said than done.  

• Like 1

It’s been hot here the last 3 days so haven’t taken them for their daily walk... but we have a plastic shell pool that my CAV loves and my other dog loves balls.. so my CAV gets a swim and the other one play fetch inside... they seem to be happy enough.

• Like 1