Dog Policy - Port Stephens Council, NSW

dougal

I have recently become aware of a change in dog policy for residents of Port Stephens Council.  The policy was changed and implemented in August 2017.  Under the new policy if your dog barks before 7am or after 8pm - your dog can be deemed "offensive".  If your dog emits 3-4 barks, more than three times in a day (eg 9am 3 barks; 12 noon 3 barks; 5pm 3 barks) and somebody complains - your dog can be deemed "offensive", and you can be fined.  The threshhold for this apparently (according to Council) is as simple as somebody reading a book and needing to lift their head because your dog barks.  

I cannot believe that this type of policy was allowed to be implemented!  It is inconsistent with the Companion Animals Act and basic common sense.  I would be interested to hear from other dog owners in Port Stephens; or anybody that has challenged Council policy and had a positive outcome.  

Oh! :eek: Glad I don’t live there! 

Thats ridiculous, it’s a dog... Dogs bark...

I think it would be fair to report a dog if it barks for more than say 15-20mins straight most days. But barking a little bit every now and then during the day is perfectly reasonable. :shrug: