Settling in a new dog

Tara and Sam

3 months i find is how long it takes for them to settle. Is your mum over fussing her, trying too hard?

I would be ignoring her and going about my business in a confident way, she will be picking up on your mums concerns.

She could also just be a nervy dog who is never going to improve, my neighbour had 2 cavs, one the biggest social butterfly, the other ran from her own shadow and never improved.

• Like 1

no mum isnt  fussing over her ,she showed her where things were in the beginning ,then let her go about what shewanted to check out ,garden etc   

yes mums other cav was so outgoing as one of mine , but this girl i hope isnt going to stay like this :(

She may be one of those cavs that has a "soft" temperament and can start at shadows sometimes.

Regarding the incident with your brother, it may be that she is fine until she sees something (a hat or some other article of clothing) that terrifies her for no reason that anyone can see. My mastiff girl was once badly startled on a walk by a phone repairman who popped up out of a manhole as we were passing - ever since that day she was terrified whenever she spotted a hard hat and we had to be careful to avoid building sites on our walks.

It is still early days yet, she may yet settle down.  Have you discussed this with the breeder? They should be able to confirm what sort of temperament she has. If your Mum prefers the outgoing bouncy sort of cav, it might take a bit of time to get used to a softer one.

The other thing is that It may be that she is still finding being the only dog confusing and still feels a bit unsure of herself without canine companions for support. Time  may settle that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

She may be one of those cavs that has a "soft" temperament and can start at shadows sometimes.

Regarding the incident with your brother, it may be that she is fine until she sees something (a hat or some other article of clothing) that terrifies her for no reason that anyone can see. My mastiff girl was once badly startled on a walk by a phone repairman who popped up out of a manhole as we were passing - ever since that day she was terrified whenever she spotted a hard hat and we had to be careful to avoid building sites on our walks.

It is still early days yet, she may yet settle down.  Have you discussed this with the breeder? They should be able to confirm what sort of temperament she has. If your Mum prefers the outgoing bouncy sort of cav, it might take a bit of time to get used to a softer one.

The other thing is that It may be that she is still finding being the only dog confusing and still feels a bit unsure of herself without canine companions for support. Time  may settle that.

I agree. Dogs take a lot of their cues from the other dogs around them. She is used to getting multiple signals from other animals in the area and will be “lost” without them..Also agree re people dressed differently, the coalman and the post man used to be prime targets for nervous dogs because their outline was different to other people.

• Like 2

This is what I would do.

Adaptil diffuser or collar - buy online from a reputable/authorised stockist eg Budget Pet Products, Pacific Pet supplies (NOT eBay - ineffective overseas product) or have pet store match same. If she’s hiding in her crate all the time put diffuser by that. If your mum can put a collar on her could try that but she seems too scared for close contact.

Positive reinforcement trainer with behaviour experience - let me know if I can help find one in your area. Do not see a balanced trainer / trainer who uses aversives!

Vet with interest in behaviour medicine or ideally a vet behaviourist. Again let me know if I can help. Definitely have a vet check to make sure nothing else is contributing (endocrine issues, pain, etc - run bloods).

And in the meantime, keep making her world small and try to avoid her anxiety triggers (I know many will be unavoidable!).

• Like 1

poor Emmi.
Hold off on the groom ... she can live without that for now :)
She has a whole life change happening - anaesthesia recently , hormone upheaval , flight/totally new surroundings  with maybe scent of old dog everywhere ...and different people ..
I second/third ADAPTIL everything  :) I haven't tried these ..but they look as tho they may be useful ..and these
has yr Mum taken Emmi out walking ? 

• Like 1

Just a couple of quick suggestions.   I can't remember if your mum has taken her for a consult with a vet behaviourist.   This sounds like a situation where some medication might be in order while the training is going on.   The going backwards must be upsetting all round, for the dog as well.

And my suggestion would be for your brother to have some soft treats, or semi soft .. just small ones, and try just opening a door, gently tossing a few treats on the floor and stepping back out again.   So then the hope would be that the dog builds up a pleasant association with your brother.   It may take a while.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this update. 

Can I put my flame suit on and put breed specific health issues out there for consideration. The majority of CKCS are affected, symptomatic or not. Dogs don’t have to display overt symptoms. Many have quite mild benign symptoms that are often attributed to other things. Fly catchers and SM can cause all manner of weird behaviour. Of course the only definitive way of diagnosing is a CT scan. Some dogs prevent extremely obvious symptoms like air scratching, screaming, and hallucinations, but mildly affected dogs often just have quirks that aren’t as obvious. 

Anyway, I hope it’s nothing like that, but perhaps worth some consideration if nothing else is making any sense. 

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 2

What has the breeder suggested ,have you kept them up to date with her progress?

If this dog is truely not settling I would return her ,any dog we place out goes on a 12 week trial anyway .No dog should be unhappy due to no fault of its own or fault of your mother,Sometimes things aren’t meant to be and a decision made sooner than later is something that should be discussed 

Secondly this dog may not be coping due to not being around other dogs ,

You can try every method and do things till the When .

We always make it clear things don’t happen overnight but this situation require a lot more thought ,talk to the breeder ASAP 

• Like 2

I'd be having a chat with the breeder to see if this is normal behavior for this dog. If it's not normal, I'd consider sending her back poor little thing, if that's an option. It does sound as though she has definite anxiety issues and maybe a vet would be best placed to help there.

• Like 1

strating to think she is  a very soft temperament , I know my little gitl is timid but mums is worse
yes we thought of her of something  prior that may have frightened her , as mums g/f's dog was placid  until one day a man she knew  wore a particular hat and had a garden rake in his hand and then she  bowled him up , everyone was so surprised , her breeder has been unwell and  havent had a chance to actually talk more with her as yet , we knew prior she was a gentle girl and cuddly , I had thought of the only dog , Hopefully she  still needs time to settle
she wasnt used to collar to start with ,and yes did  run off , until mum  did get one on her ,  NOt sure if her vet is into behaviour as yet  but  a vet visit  will be coming up , we had a vet here  first few days and good  bill of health and said time  to settle , but this seems so much longer than  others we had
Would this behaviour  be  from the  2 ops  , leaving puppies, and the  flight and new home  ? mum seems to think this may be a problem prior  to all the upheaval , interesting you mention scent of Molly , as Emmi goes down that spot for her  poos , yes mum has taken her out to the local garden for a walk and she seemed fine with  that , small training in the  yard with sit  and stay etc and seems fine with that , mum using one that I use and helps a Buch flower esssence and that has relaxed mine with thunder storms etc
Yes have  said to mum to ask the vet and tell her exactly what going on , the back wards is upsetting for mum to see her so  petrified with  things , and of course doesnt like seeing Emmi like that , Yes it  bit upsetting for brother to feel she frightened of him , she will go  near him  outside  when he working  on car  has a sniff then walks away ,( she pinched his apple one day )  put your hand out and she is off , so they let her come to them
no air scrathcing or whimpers  , but good point to mention to vet ,    she has as times heard neighbours dog bark and has a little bark  back ,  she does have some dear ways , but this looking as though  petrified  is not nice :(
yes  I emaill  breeder with pics and updates and mentioned last one she was still very  timid , but  havent spoken to her yet as she  not well and I also had gallbladder op  out
When she was down here  with my Ruby ( 8 yrs old ) Emmi ( 5 yrs old ), both  were lazy bums lol , but it was bit warm .
they ate close by and  did check each others bowel when finished , they didnt have aproblem siiting same chair etc , didnt exactly run around together   but at times  walked around after the other ,  I wouldnt say it was a lose bond but wasnt bad either , mumm  nearly got two that were offered  but because  mum 84 and house has no  aircon etc  and mum due to have eye op ,she stayed with one
we have known the breeder for many years and 4 dogs so she knows  how much loved and looked after  mum ( and I  ) have loved her dogs and well looked after Molly was almost 15 yrs when passed away
after waiting long time to get this girl it is just bit dissapointing for mum
she came from kennells with  lots of land to run free then had about roughly 2 months inside house  after her ops and  puppies , she doesnt  have seperation anxiety when mum goes shopping , which  other one did , Emmi is left in crate with door open to come and have treats or drink if wants to

appreicate the replies as havent come across this bad  and this long settleing  in

as for the groomer not sure what mum going to do yet , normally I would clip the feet as mum has arthritic hands , but  I cant bend  much  after the GB  op

Edited by Tara and Sam

You need to phone the breeder,irrespective of her having surgery this dog is stuck in the middle of a problem,a problem for your Mum and long term maybe a problem you inherit,also how much money is your Mum able to spend on a potential problem dog .

This may be a case of the wrong dog for a good home ,I am a firm believer of patience but this not normal settling in issues ,this dog is really out of sorts 

• Like 1

If your mum and you can be patient with this little one a bit longer, and just keep on with the things you're doing, keeping things nice and calm .. lots of things that she really likes as treats ..she may well yet come round.   I'm thinking of a friend whose ex breeding bitch rehome small breed was good with other dogs, and with her and eventually her husband, but initially scared of her own shadow when she was out and among people.  My friend (an experienced trainer) just took her time, lots of treats from close friends .. and over a couple of years the little dog, while still a bit wary of strangers has settled down to the extent that she has taken to tracking and gained her TD title .. although there were a few little bobles with male judges following behind her, and male tracklayers to be found.

I'm also wondering if you've tried Adaptil .. either as a diffuser or on a bandanna.   I know a lot of people are having success with it.

As far as the grooming goes, maybe if you start a new thread in the Health and Grooming forum asking for recommendations for patient kind groomers in your area .. ideally there may be someone willing to come to your mum's house.

I'm not sure that the groomer coming to the house is a good idea at at this stage. You want her to feel super comfortable in the house and strangers handling her in the home might petrify her all over again.
If the other dogs at the groomers, waiting for their turns are all laid back and content then I would happily send her off to be done, but of course you can't guarantee that. Chances are good that if you have chosen a good groomer, they will understand her anxiety and just be gentle but matter of fact, just talk it over with them first.

On the other hand, she probably does need  to get out and about a bit more, even if it is just down the street and back, so the house becomes a haven to come "home" to. I understand that your mother is quite elderly and long walks are out of the question but I wonder if your brother has the patience to accompany both on short walks and take the leash for the return home, so she becomes used to him walking her and then he might be able to do the odd longer walk with her and without your Mum? It would help her bond to him as well.

• Like 1