Dog Stairs

Papillon Kisses

We are thinking of buying or fashioning some stairs for Malcolm and I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations and/or tips? I’ve gone through past posts but they’re all pretty old.

We don’t have a problem with him jumping onto the bed as he sits for permission, but he launches himself off if we don’t swoop him up in time.

It’s a height of about 62cm... quite a lot of them stop at 30 or so?

Thank you! :)

DDD had some stairs made I think? I bought some for our bed (cheap ones) but my stafford girl found them hard to use (each step too high and not wide enough for her gait). We also had a car ramp we stuck over the stairs for my sister's husky/shep to get in and out of the lounge room as she got older but she wouldn't use it (the younger dogs had no problem using it as a side lane around her!).

If the issue is the dismount why not consider a larger, firm foam block half the size of the gap? Then he can ooze down to that level and then off. He probably feels he needs to launch himself off to make the total distance.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 10:35 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

It’s a height of about 62cm... quite a lot of them stop at 30 or so?

The height of my bed is 52cm so virtually all of the ones available were of no use.  I finally found a set at Innovations which were perfect .......  for going up LOL.  They have never been used for going down.  The dogs still launch themselves off the bed, but I try to forestall that and lift them down as much as I can.   

If you have the room, I would be inclined to make a set/have a set made to order, or better still, have a ramp.  Despite being the right height, the stairs I have are steep and the individual steps are quite narrow.  Another positive for them is that they fold down and then I just slide them under the bed.  

I’ll get some pix and post them.  

• Like 1

My husband made a ramp for Jindi as she was having trouble jumping up on the bed.

we got a ramp from Dimmys and he cut up a yoga mat to create a non-slip surface.

she uses it all the time.

next puppies we will teach them from the start to help with joints.

• Like 2

I have a dining room chair i put near the bed, Pandi jumps up on the chair to the bed, it cuts the height she jumps by half.

She mostly uses the chair  for going off the bed , sometimes she will fly of the bed if excited over something seen. 

• Like 1

I use small plastic archive boxes stacked for the steps. I did buy what DD has but the same problem, great for getting up but too narrow or steep or something for the seniors to get down so they use the boxes with non-slip on them and seem very happy for getting both up and down. Not attractive but it works well. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. :)

He’s quite a small dog so even if he jumped less enthusiastically it’s still a big drop and high impact.

@Dame Danny's Darling @Powerlegs I was curious about the Innovations after seeing DDD’s post from a previous thread but thought the slope and tred size may be an issue. Seems to have been confirmed!

Funky Cat look perfect but the price. :eek:

I took some more measurements and don’t think there’s enough room for a ramp (or at least those I’ve browsed so far).

Edited by Papillon Kisses

9 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

I have a dining room chair i put near the bed, Pandi jumps up on the chair to the bed, it cuts the height she jumps by half.

She mostly uses the chair  for going off the bed , sometimes she will fly of the bed if excited over something seen. 

Actually my parents use a foot pouf for their old cat. Just breaks the jump up for them.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I was curious about the Innovations after seeing DDD’s post from a previous thread but thought the slope and tred size may be an issue. Seems to have been confirmed!

Tamar, Jeune and Bunter can still get up the stairs, but Jeune likes to pretend she can’t when we go to bed and wanders around looking up at me piteously until I lift her up.  However, if she needs to go out through the night she is perfectly able to get up via the stairs when she knows I am sound asleep :laugh:.  So they are still worth having.  

• Haha 3

@Scottsmum I gather you are laughing at my description of Jeune :mad :mad :laugh: :laugh:.  She most be one of the most stubborn dogs ever born.  I’ll be lying in bed reading and she will come around to my side of the bed and I’ll tell her to use the stairs.  She stands there with her back to me, then wanders around to the stairs.  And then comes back to me side of the bed ......   repeat this several times.  Guess who generally wins?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

@Scottsmum I gather you are laughing at my description of Jeune :mad :mad :laugh: :laugh:.  She most be one of the most stubborn dogs ever born.  I’ll be lying in bed reading and she will come around to my side of the bed and I’ll tell her to use the stairs.  She stands there with her back to me, then wanders around to the stairs.  And then comes back to me side of the bed ......   repeat this several times.  Guess who generally wins?  

Sure am.

Don't think I need to guess who wins. Scotties predecessor was pretty similar. Stubborn old lady dogs!

• Like 2

I don't know if this would work but I had some of those black rubber camping mats from Bunnings ( not the ones with holes in ), they come in a 4 pack I think. I used them to cover the kitchen floor when Crump did her first cruciate ligament.  I glued 12 of them together and it goes about halfway up the side so that she doesn't have to jump completely from the floor. although my bed is only 520mm from the floor to the top of the mattress.  If you can glue about maybe 6 or 7 full size ones together and then another 6 or 7 cut in half on top it might fashion a sort of step he can handle. They are about 600 x 600 square. Hope that makes sense. Don't use any of the smelly glues or you'll gas yourself and the animals. I tried using a ramp but mine wouldn't have a bar of it but they use these mats. Even if they are on the other side of the bed they will both cross to the side where the mats are and jump up or down.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...