Yet another dog attack

BarbedWire

Thanks everyone. Your stories are so scary. Roova I like the description of approaching dogs as having a bouncy or flat running style. I found this chart which I think 23844769_10155886938271382_5876142172633909863_n.thumb.jpg.ba465c2489029f75f8e22ed9a52e60b1.jpgillustrates the flat focussed running style of dogs who are about to attack. 

Edited by sarsplodicus
  • Like 2

There was a nasty incident in town :( 
SWF being walked along a  grassed area along the river ... on lead.
2 larger dogs  roaming alone approach and attack SWF... and one lady who tried to get them off . :( several people were needed to break up the attack .
Small dog's condition is critical - lady has some bruising and bites to her hands.
Attacking dogs have been put down . One was a 'dangerous dog' ...and from what I can gather there was a slip up in securing a gate  :(:(

Edited by persephone
  • Sad 5

WE were chased a couple of weeks ago :( thistle was on lead and this kelpie came angling right at her! We did a 180 and speed walked the other way and it kept following us it was right up thistles ass! Was zig zagging all over the field trying to keep her calm, talking to keep her attention and walking away so she wouldn't turn and confront the dog but you could see her getting more and more worried :( 

owner was no help just standing there half heartedly calling his dog. I was getting really worried thistle would react!

thankfulky others saw our dilemma and came to our rescue and shoo"d the dog away but it was no fun! 

Yknow if she reacted back to such a pushy dog she'd be the one in trouble :( even though she's under control and on lead :(

really ruins our our confidence to walk together too :(

8 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

WE were chased a couple of weeks ago :( thistle was on lead and this kelpie came angling right at her! We did a 180 and speed walked the other way and it kept following us it was right up thistles ass! Was zig zagging all over the field trying to keep her calm, talking to keep her attention and walking away so she wouldn't turn and confront the dog but you could see her getting more and more worried :( 

owner was no help just standing there half heartedly calling his dog. I was getting really worried thistle would react!

thankfulky others saw our dilemma and came to our rescue and shoo"d the dog away but it was no fun! 

Yknow if she reacted back to such a pushy dog she'd be the one in trouble :( even though she's under control and on lead :(

really ruins our our confidence to walk together too :(

This is how it felt when the dog followed after us when I was trying to get away. My older dog is very anxious and initially reactive to other dogs although usually I can make her settle. The owner made no attempt to stop his dog. I was walking down a street calling out for someone to help me and no-one came. People must have been not at home or they didn't want to be involved. It really does ruin your confidence to go for a walk again. My older dog has been very clingy since. She is sleeping at my feet right now. We just have to be so watchful now. 

I stopped walking my dogs up here because there are so many loose dogs everywhere.

My Bob got attacked by a pair of really nasty Labs once, I had to pick him up and he was 25kilos!

It changed him for life he was always over vigilant and we couldnt walk in that lane again without him getting anxious.

I just don't want to take the chance of the hounds getting hurt.

I used to walk around the block, which includes areas of paddocks and town. Once we got near the start of the houses half a dozen staff crosses would come out and bark at our heels.

It was awful for me and the dogs.

Its terrifying to have your dogs attacked.

• Sad 1

Just so sad, frustrating and makes me furious @gillybob .

Somewhat off topic, but in light of gillybob’s post, yesterday afternoon, I was out walking my elderly three (Orla was sound asleep so I let her be :heart:) and saw coming towards me a teeny weeny little baby Dachshund.  OMG, I nearly died at the onslaught of cuteness.  Because Tamar can be inclined to bark, I shortened her lead and continued on until we met.  The little dog was having her first outing after puppy school having completed all her vax.  Tamar, btw, was obviously in loved and didn’t bark at all.  

The couple were obviously entranced with their little one and they said that they were so happy/relieved that their first meeting of new dogs since puppy school was such a positive one ....  I was too LOL.   My only fear was that the baby’s tail would be wagged off.  OMG the joy and happiness of a little dog.  

We can only pray that all future encounters will bring her continued joy.   

• Like 3

Thyme, @dididog's george and I did meet a cute little italian greyhound  recently :) they waited politely for thyme to be done sniffing the ground (smells win over dogs lol) then let our dogs greet. he kept trying to sniff little ones underside but his head is too big! they didnt let the little guy rush up to our dogs, so wouldn't mind walking past them with thistle (no greet though).

• Like 1

Always always contact the council and report if you especially felt threatened and the owner then has a go at you.  Also if you are confident teach your dogs to stand behind you.  NOw our older one is more reactive as he is protecting the younger one I have no issue yelling at owners to control their dogs .