PetRescue looking at direct donations

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to make an impact, work for the best - Daily Telegraph (January 25, 2018)

... Last week, national animal welfare organisation Pet Rescue came under fire on their social media, after celebrating raising $25,000 on a commercial funding campaign for critical website redevelopments.

Social media commenters claimed the charity should be ashamed of their actions and should give the funds to rescue groups.

Pet Rescue’s response was swift and powerful.

“We are fundraising to create a secure, online platform that will allow every rescue group to use their individual pet profile listings as a way of attracting direct donations for vital vet work,” the response read.

“We want to build a long-term, and most importantly, sustainable source of funding, that will give more financial support to every single rescue group member, regardless of their size or whether or not they have their own website.

“We’re not fundraising to create a slush fund for pet desexing but if we were there would be less than $52 donated to each rescue group. That doesn’t add a lot of value, and isn’t sustainable either.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/if-you-want-to-make-an-impact-work-for-the-best/news-story/160114281ec51baf8a471f9f8227cee6

The final fundraising total was just shy of $50,000, meaning we didn't have to see a "tasteful" video of JB dunking his nuts in ice-water.

• Like 2

Uh oh!

i thought pet rescue were promoting dogs in rescue groups and legit foster carers.

My friend just got a pup which was described as German shepherd cross just because of the colouring...must have mated with a midget dog to be that size. It's tiny.

when I asked about the foster home she said it was disgusting, the grass was knee deep and there was crap everywhere. The woman didn't ask her any questions, didn't offer a trial period, doesn't want to know about the dog and it's not desexed.

and she paid $600!!!

she was trying to get me to get a 'rescue dog' next and I said no thanks. Purebred for me. At least I know what I'm getting.

unfortunately I was the one who suggested a 'rescue', but one who'd been in the house for weeks if not months. I was telling her all the good stuff foster homes do. Should have known she wouldn't listen.

• Sad 1

Report the rescue group to PetRescue then @poochmad... even with all their faults, PetRescue do hold groups using their service to a certain code of conduct - such as desexing... and they DO follow up on complaints by adopters.

Assuming of course that your friend did get the pup from a group advertising on PetRescue, and not from some random Facebook "rescue" group...

T.

• Like 2

Yes that's really bad. If it was a member group they can be reported but there is pretty much no regulation in rescue so even if they lost membership you can't stop people from doing that kind of crap. Makes everyone look shonky but it's very real and if I was an adopter I'd be bloody careful who I went to for a dog. :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Yes that's really bad. If it was a member group they can be reported but there is pretty much no regulation in rescue so even if they lost membership you can't stop people from doing that kind of crap. Makes everyone look shonky but it's very real and if I was an adopter I'd be bloody careful who I went to for a dog. :( 

I'd come to you @Powerlegs... *grin*

T.