2nd dog, female or male?

ciarameth

We currently have a 4 year old friendly small english bulldog. We originally had her sister also but she passed away when she was 1.5 years old. We are getting a new bulldog in a few months and are unsure if we should get a female or male. Does any one have experience with mixing sexes?

I have always had male dogs together.  Always had them desexed and have never had a problem with any of them.  After losing our older boy 3 weeks ago, we are looking to get another puppy and again have opted for a male. One of the breeders we got one of our puppies from noted that the females are not called bitches for nothing but I can't vouch for that lol.

• Haha 1

i got a boy to go with my girl cause everyone said it'd work best, but thinking on it i think it's his personality and breed that matters more than his gender. third dog im not so sure i'll care much on the gender and just take the one who meets the personality i would like.

...but is important if ur current dog is neutral to the gender u choose to get or not. if my girl had shown she disliked a particular gender more than another, i would not get a dog of that gender.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always found it best to have a male and female (desexed of course). We once had two females and a male and it was the bitches who'd fight.

we've had no problem going back to the old rule, except of course the female is the boss!

There are some breeds where same sexes simply cannot be housed together if entire and sometimes even if desexed.I have never heard that Bulldogs were one of those breeds. I agree that in the majority of breeds, opposite sex pairs, if desexed, get along together best.
If you have same sex pairs, it will work best if one has a "boss" attitude and the other is content to remain the underling. Most non-resource based squabbles occur between same sexes when a younger dog who was previously content to be second rank starts to feel that it is time for her to challenge the boss.
When adding a young puppy, it is always safest to get the opposite sex to your remaining pet, but you can successfully combine same sex adults (except in those few breeds mentioned above) if you take care never to combine two "boss" type personalities.

• Like 1

Over the years I was fostering old dogs I never really thought about it! But they all got on well although all were desexed.

Cedro and Etta are the only entire dogs I have had, they came over a period of time, Cedro with Anna and Etta 6 months ago.

Gilly wasn't impressed for a while but settled in with them well.

So now I have two entire dogs and one desexed and I have no problems with them at all.

I could say that could be because Fauves are very easy going dogs, but the bitches can be bitches at times. Etta is a lovely soft dog girl.

Cedro is also a very gentle dog with people and other dogs, my breeder picked him well for me.

I think when a breeder picks a pup for you, you need to tell her everything about yourself, so she can base her pick on who will blend in well with you.