Can I find out the pedigree of my rescue GLAD?

Leo Axton

My rescue GSD still had his 'bits' when we got him at 5years old. We think he was used as a breeding dog. Is it possible to find out his pedigree. We don't know his previous owners as he had been surrendered to Blacktown pound. 

No, unfortunately you would need to at least know his ANKC registered name if he is actually a pedigree GSD. He may not be an ANKC registered dog. He also may have been entire yet never used at stud. My 11 year old Dalmatian is entire, ANKC registered, heavily titled in dog sports yet has never been used at stud. 

ETA: I think ANKC GSDs can also be identified by an ear tattoo? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will pop in n

Edited by The Spotted Devil

First thing I thought of was if there were any tattoos.   Apart from that, unless Blacktown Pound could put you in touch with the previous owners which is highly unlikely (huge privacy issues), I think your dog’s background will forever remain unknown.  

I’ve adopted many dogs from pounds over the years and it is human nature to wonder about where they came from, what were their lives like, how they came to be lost, what they were like as puppies, etc etc.  As some of them have been in pretty poor condition, sometimes it is better not to know as we could end up in prison, IYKWIM :( :(

Has he got a microchip? If so can you find the register he is on and ask if they have his history including any prior names. 

You could also send his chip number to the state bodies and ask if they may be able to help you track down his breeder. They were really lovely when I was trying to track down the breeder of the cocker I rehomed from work. From what we could work out, she's Byb as there were no registered litters on her DOB. and her chip number wasn't in their records. Also ties in with the $700/$800 price the first owner reportedly paid for her.

Whenever I asked the chip registry or the state clubs for help, I termed it as I had just got the dog and was wanting to let her breeder know that she'd found her forever home and was ok. I'd also say I understood they probably couldn't give me contact details but I'd be greatful if they could pass mine on for the breeder so they could contact me.

ETA I'd also attach pics of her to forward on and also just to personalise it a bit and put a dog to a name :)

Edited by karen15
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Not all ANKC GSD's have ear tattoo's. Only those who belonged to the breed club and not all breeders were/are members. Politics you know.

That’s a good point. I’ve edited my post to make this clearer. I’ve also heard that the tattoo sometimes fades.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

The GSD Council of Australia maintain an on-line database of ANKC registered GSDs. If the breeder had him microchipped & registered as a puppy you could search the database for his kennel prefix. You need to be a member of your state GSD body eg GSDL NSW to access the database.