Where to buy Lycra dog suit

blackberry

Hi

i have 2 Irish Setters that I take into the bush and camping, they get burrs in their long coats. I have decided to get them Lycra suits, so the can swim in them but also keep their coats free from burrs and seeds. I have found a place in WA that makes them but they are $150 each, I can get them overseas for 1/2 the price( including postage and currency change) just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere else in Australia that makes these

thanks Jodi

I didn't think of this, the dogs and I camp on the river so will be in and out of the water, people wear lycra outfits to protect themselves from the sun so I was thinking the same thing, what other material do you think might work and be good for the heat and water 

Long or short legs?

Australian-Made.jpg

Long legs

Fabric choices

At bromelli  you have three fabric choices for your dog suit.

All choices have a high SPF rating and are specifically chosen as being fabric appropriate to keep a dog cool and well protected from the sun.

Cotton Lycra – This fabric is used because it is a fabric that allows good air circulation and has a high degree of stretch giving the dog maximum comfort and flexibility. Good for the hot summers. This fabric comes in a range of colours.

Keep in mind these suits will still require dedicated brushing if in big coats as they will matt more & i wouldn't let mine swim in them though ,most i don't think are designed for swimming in.I certainly know the lyrca products i use on my show dogs would stretch & hold water ,the US ones would most likely be a better option as i know some setter people use them for training but most just brush & product when there coated dogs hunt
I know an Irish person in Victoria has one for there dog as it wore it at the Gordon Setter field fun day

People using these lycra tubes on horses' necks to keep burrs/grass-seeds out of manes (and protect show horses from sun-bleaching of hair colour) have ended up with nasty skin problems on horses.  Not always but sometimes.  (I know dogs don't sweat like horses, but they do get hot-spots and other allergy skin probs).

Brushing through with an anti-matting product from Horseland or Saddleworld (like No-Knots or one of the Cowboy Magic grooming products) as Pandi-Girl suggested is helpful.  Doesn't stop seeds from attaching but makes their removal smooth and easier.  Worked well with Frodo (seed magnet doggie) but still needs daily vigilance re ears and between toes, pads.

Not sure about a close fitting coat in summertime - even the model in the blue outfit above is trying to lose heat by panting.  Jodi if you go ahead with them, I'd be interested in how successful or otherwise you find them to use.

• Like 1