Top Quality Food

I would like to feed top quality foods like Ziwipeak, &  Frontier pet, plus raw meat sometimes.

Everytime i feed these foods, even for only 24 hours, Pandi starts bottom scooting on the floor.

The vet has shown me how to empty her anal sacs, so i have to everytime she eats this type of food, she needs it done at least once a week if i feed Frontier pet or Ziwipeak.

Stay Loyal, or  MFM   on the other hand cause no problem with scooting, 

Why would feeding these good quality foods cause this issue  

What TSD said. I guess there isn't any fibre and filler content and any bone is ground up rather than the body having to do that itself - equals less firm poo and anal glands not expressing as easily. 

I feed a combo of mfm /holistic select /black hawk and pre made raw with some meaty bones thrown in a few times a week. I have a smaller breed prone to anal gland issues and at almost 11 years old he's been fine.

• Like 1

When she eats  Ziwipeak  or  Frontier pet ,  i have noticed her stool is very small & thin,  that is when she starts scooting again.

Why do dogs get this bottom  issue.

Pandi does love these foods &  the food is said to be fed as a complete meal,  but it causes issues every time.

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

When she eats  Ziwipeak  or  Frontier pet ,  i have noticed her stool is very small & thin,  that is when she starts scooting again.

Why do dogs get this bottom  issue.

Pandi does love these foods &  the food is said to be fed as a complete meal,  but it causes issues every time.

People have told you why already. You may need to add some dietary fibre and/or raw meaty bones to the diet if you want to keep feeding those foods. I feed Ziwipeak and my dogs have never had an anal gland issue, but they haven’t on any other food either. Some dogs are just prone to the issue and especially it seems like small dogs are susceptible. Many of the high end brands have extra fibre to prevent it. The more natural brands sound like they do not. 

Lack of fiber IS NOT NATURAL and ISN'T BALANCED!  Just because it's expensive and the labels include a number of ambiguous claims doesn't make it a high quality food!  Experiment, find out what works for your dog, and don't be worried if it isn't advertised as 'all natural' and doesn't cost $10+/kg.

There's a lot of malarkey about dog food and pathetically few credible long term feeding trials.

• Like 2

also keep in mind expressing the glands weekly just to feed this food is not ideal either .It is often said over expressing can cause a weakness .

So you need to weigh up what is the best middle ground & top food means diddly squat to a dog as to what they thrive on

• Like 3

Meals for mutts is still a good food, if she’s fine on that just stick with it.

I bought a bag last year to try our dogs on it but unfortunately it gave them stinky breath and runny poos I think. (We swapped them over gradually, and they both have pretty strong stomachs) Which is a shame because it sounds pretty good.

We feed Black Hawk and occasionally SavourLife, they aren’t top of the top but they’re good and work for our dogs. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Meals for mutts is still a good food, if she’s fine on that just stick with it.

I bought a bag last year to try our dogs on it but unfortunately it gave them stinky breath and runny poos I think. 

Yeah MfM caused 2 of mine to lose condition badly, even though they ate well enough on it. But when it suits, and it does for many, it seems to be a very good food with lots of loyal customers.

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pet Food Reviews au,   has said  Frontier Pet ,  &  Ziwipeak  is the best  you can give your dog , that was why i have been feeding these as the whole meal.

While my dog loves eating these foods , they just are not right for her scooting problem.

Stay Loyal  Turkey & Salmon  small bites  seems to fix her problems , she eats her meal & is very happy,  no scooting  I'm  pleased  to say.  :)

• Like 2

I would be feeding less of the dry and adding in more of the other stuff, dry food on its own isn't a great option, all dry foods make dogs drink more water than they need which long term is very bad for the kidneys, dry foods are also bad for their teeth (despite what most vets will tell you).

Have you considered adding in daily a high quality tinned food (if you don't have the time to do an all natural diet).

We only feed a small amount of soaked dry Canidae mixed with Ziwipeak or Holistic select canned in the morning and at night they get either more canned or fresh meat and veg, we also add in bones, lambs ears etc to help keep they're teeth clean.

We have three small dogs (did have four) and they all do very well on this and it doesn't cost us a fortune.

I will have to try the tinned food & see how she goes on it .

Would brisket bones be good for her teeth, which sort , Lamb?

there is tartar on her top back teeth, it has been there for a few months, i give her veal tendon 1 a week.

Sorry but drinking extra water is not bad for kidneys. Diluted urine can actually prevent issues like kidney stones and UTIs. 

I feed Artemis dry - floated not soaked in water - plus yoghurt or sardines or raw egg. 2-3 nights a week I substitute with RMBs....chicken frames, lamb necks or turkey wings. Anything non weight bearing. Sometimes fed frozen or half frozen. Treats include cheese, 4 Legs et al. , diced hearts, minced frames, beef mince and various quality dried products. I’m a little more limited because my Dally needs a low purine diet. The Spaniels eat anything. 

• Like 1

@Rascalmyshadow

You’re right about the myth that “dry food is good for their teeth.” That’s rubbish, especially the Royal Canin kibble supposedly shaped in such a way to clean their teeth... it’s just marketing.

Wet food is not good for their teeth either though. So regardless of what processed food a dog is fed, I think it’s best to also feed raw bones (or as Monty also likes, whole raw carrots haha) or brush their teeth. :) 

ETA; tinned food is 50% water, and rather expensive if you want to feed the good stuff everyday.. some raw mince or BARF patties would be a more affordable option. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

@Scrappi&Monty  I brushed her teeth  for a few weeks & the top back teeth don't get any better , Plus i felt pretty stupid brushing doggy teeth

Pandi was fine with the tooth brush.

I use to give her chicken wings i held it for her so she would not gulp it down, her teeth did not get cleaned from the wings .

Outside in the yard  there are  so many  ANTS  that bite, so  she would have to have her bone inside , that would be ok on bath day. 

• Like 1

Oh ok :)

Maybe consult your vet next time you go? Scrappi has a bit of tartary stuff on his back top teeth despite having raw bones once a week, and the vet said “his teeth are nicer than mine!” :laugh:

Does she like carrots or any other crunchy thing like that? Or even dentastix (But I think they’re probably just marketing too) 

Otherwise, just keep an eye on her and she should be fine. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Thanks 1