Unilaterally deaf puppy

JustinS187

Hi guys,

I’ve just paid $2,000 for an 8 week old miniature bull terrier puppy.

Yesterday the bredder had the litter BAER tested and unfortunately my little guy has come back as being deaf in his right ear. 

The breeder is trying to downplay it by saying he should be able to hear certain sounds, but the report she sent me from the tester simply says he’s deaf in one ear. 

Would just like to know if anyone else on here has experience with a unilaterally deaf dog, so I have more of an understanding of what to expect.

Also, should I reasonably expect the price of the dog to now be reduced? I think $2000 is a lot of money to pay for a puppy that’s deaf in one ear. 

Appreciate any help/advice offered...

Thanks!

Unilaterally deaf isn’t such a big deal in terms of general training and livibility. The fact that your breeder BAER tested at all is a HUGE tick. Many don’t. Even in breeds prone to deafness. As for money I can tell you it costs just as much to raise a puppy that has a health issue than one that doesn’t. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as a pet buyer but I probably wouldn’t get the pup as I do dog sports and breed. Your pup should never be bred from. But will be perfectly happy in a pet home. If you weren’t told I don’t think you’d ever know. Dogs are amazing at compensating. 

I think price is a discussion to be had with your breeder. However I personally do not discount puppies. They are either suitable for a home or they aren’t. If the pup requires treatment then I pay for it and have it done before it leaves. 

• Like 5

I wouldn't discount ,you don't need to do anything special to this dog .

The main thing here is its either an issue for you or it isn't.

If you feel its going to be the wrong pup then tell the breeder  .

I applaud the breeder for testing & letting you know asap,

The only thing we wouldn't do is ask for money until all tests are finalized

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Mini's have more health issues than standards, and are generally a bit more loopy!

Depends if you are happy with the breeder and his line of dogs?

I took a while to find a breeder of bullies i like, have one girl and just waiting on another , but he is particular to match us up.

Edited by juice
  • Like 1

$2k isn't a lot to pay for a puppy from a relatively rare (and not very healthy) breed.  As for unilateral deafness, BFD, I doubt you would have noticed it if the breeder hadn't done the right thing and tested. Many breeds with a lot of white in their coats have random problems with deafness.  This is a fault of the breed, not the breeder.

• Like 1

This breed is one of the breeds that is prone to deafness in one or both ears and you should have researched before choosing your breed so that you were aware of this. Well done in choosing a breeder who does the BAER testing, otherwise you may never have known!

As for asking for a discount, did you think that he breeder should pay twice over for BAER testing? That is what a discount would amount to and  asking for a discount would be a good way to discourage breeders from testing. Deaf in one ear won't affect the life of a pet puppy or your interaction with it, but by testing every puppy the breeder is doing their best to improve the breed as a whole and reducing the chances for future deaf puppies.

Most pet buyers don't understand the costs that go into a well bred and well reared litter and think that $2k for each puppy means that the breeder is rolling in lucre - sorry, but that is only the case for BYBs who don't put the proper vet care etc.etc. into their litters.Well done for not getting cheated by purchasing from an irresponsible BYB!

You choose a breed that is prone to deafness. Unless you specified the breeder to supply you with a pup that had breeding potential, I for one, don't see the need to ask for a discount for something that won't affect the life of a pet puppy.

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typo
  • Like 2

I wonder how many people would buy a new Mercedes that shows severe scratches on one side without asking for a discount. Conversely to a dog (which is evaluated a "good", hence same criteria applies) with hearing loss in one ear those scratches don't affect driving and safety - they really only disturb the look. For the dog it has some significant disadvantages - well, only if you intend to train the dog. 

Basic physical knowledge tells you that 2 functional ears are required to locate a sound - there is a reason why mother nature used this design for mammals. With only one functional ear the dog will encounter  

• problems with recalls if the owner is out of sight (could be due a bush, dune, wall etc...) as he can't recognise from where the call is coming from; so if you intend to do agility, or you want to enjoy off leash walking, i.e. all activities that require remote training, this disadvantage will be more than a scratch in a door of a new car. 
  • severe problems with hearing if there is background noise (traffic noise, TV, wind, rain etc. etc.); as a consequence background noise can be actually stressful for a lot of dogs with unilateral deafness;

Of course, it is all manageable, but I guess not many people would by a new car with scratches if the price isn't adjusted.

Edited by talking dog
spelling

I have never considered, and will never consider, pet dogs to be a consumer item and  do not have much patience with those that do.
I have had in my care dogs completely deaf from birth as well as those who have lost some or all hearing due to age and they are equally as good as sharing love and giving companionship as their counterparts with full hearing. Ditto for blind dogs. I did not personally consider any of those deaf or blind (one was both) dogs to be of a lesser worth than any other dog I have had.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 18 January 2018 at 10:11 AM, talking dog said:

Basic physical knowledge tells you that 2 functional ears are required to locate a sound - there is a reason why mother nature used this design for mammals. With only one functional ear the dog will encounter  

• problems with recalls if the owner is out of sight (could be due a bush, dune, wall etc...) as he can't recognise from where the call is coming from; so if you intend to do agility, or you want to enjoy off leash walking, i.e. all activities that require remote training, this disadvantage will be more than a scratch in a door of a new car. 
  • severe problems with hearing if there is background noise (traffic noise, TV, wind, rain etc. etc.); as a consequence background noise can be actually stressful for a lot of dogs with unilateral deafness;

I've had a unilateral hearing loss all my life.  But I only picked it up in my twenties.  I put a ticking watch behind one ear & couldn't hear it.  Then the other ear... & I could.  Mine can't be fixed.  But it explained why I can't tell the direction sounds are coming from & have trouble hearing what someone's saying when there's background noise.  Both very liveable for me a human.

Basic strategies help enormously... like not trusting where I think sound is coming from, because it'll likely be the opposite!    I also didn't realise that for my first 20 years I'd actually adapted by lip-reading.  Still do it when there's background noise.... but I don't like men with beards (can't see their lips)!   Family & friends know not to talk to me with my back turned....especially if they're on my deaf side.  Before the hearing loss was diagnosed, people just thought I was a bit of a 'dream'' when I didn't respond to them.

My brother also had unilateral hearing loss from a different reason.  His was fixable via surgery.  I asked him afterwards did he notice a difference....he said 'No', but that he could now hear where sounds were coming from!

Being familiar with what it's like with unilateral hearing loss, I'd have no trouble figuring how to adapt strategies for a dog.  It's very amenable to management.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, talking dog said:

I wonder how many people would buy a new Mercedes that shows severe scratches on one side without asking for a discount. Conversely to a dog (which is evaluated a "good", hence same criteria applies) with hearing loss in one ear those scratches don't affect driving and safety - they really only disturb the look. For the dog it has some significant disadvantages - well, only if you intend to train the dog. 

Of course, it is all manageable, but I guess not many people would by a new car with scratches if the price isn't adjusted.

Bargain like that and you're going to find it hard to find anyone who will sell you a pup...or, else, you're going to end up buying from people who are less honest about faults.  Eg, you'll end up with a healthy puppy that turns into a dog with epilepsy, allergies, or some other malady that doesn't manifest until later in life.  Virtually all dogs have, so to speak, a few scratches in their paint

• Like 2

On 18/01/2018 at 10:41 AM, talking dog said:

@talking dog To compare a living breathing puppy to a lump of metal is disgusting.  To denigrate and devalue a puppy with a disability who is quite capable of living a normal happy life is also disgusting.  Many puppies (and older dogs) with disabilities lead happy and full lives.  (Funnily enough, a bit like people with disabilities).  And in some cases the disability while present might not even have any functional effect.  Yeah somewhat like people. And you don't even consider how rewarding having a puppy with a disability can be.   

Lots of puppies, deaf or hearing, have problems with recall if the owner is out of sight! LOL!!  Its called being a puppy! Puppies (and older dogs with acquired deafness) who are deaf (unilaterally or indeed bilaterally) are easily trained - they just require modified training.  And it's not just hearing acuity that determines ability to discern and locate specific sounds amongst background noise - that's only a small part of what is a complex acoustic/neurological/psychological and perceptive ability.  How do I know?  I'm an audiometrist.  In case you hadn't noticed, we have two ears  (and two eyes, two kidneys etc) - its called inbuilt redundancy and people and animals function just fine with one functioning ear - one of the reasons we have two!   And what would you do if you had a normal hearing puppy who lost its hearing later in life?   Buff its ear out??!! 

How do I know?  My Mac was unilaterally deaf for the last years of his life and no-one ever realised unless I told them. He functioned just fine.  My old Sarah is now heading for 17 years and is as deaf as a door-post - and she functions just fine (she's snuggling into my side right now).  I just need to modify how I communicate with her and take a little more care.  Am I offended by your analogy and your post?  You betcha I am.  Would I ever sell you a puppy with an attitude like that?  Never.  Am I going to argue further with you?  No.  But never would I let a post like that which is just plain wrong on so many fronts stand unanswered.  Now go buff the scratches out of your car.  

5a71b4fdab07b_Sarah2017.thumb.jpg.ff4777ff3d248686e95e726fdf854285.jpg 

A deaf almost 17 year old dog - yes she has a few 'scratches'.  

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

well said WM.

My Daisy also became deaf, it didn't take her long to be trained with signing, matter of fact she found it fun.

Perhaps, Talkingdog, think before you post, there are newbys here that may read your posts and take you as an authority when some of what you write is clearly not the case

• Like 1

On 1 February 2018 at 9:08 AM, persephone said:

My Pudden is still with me as I would not rehome him, due to unilateral deafness and micropthalmia . He is now a bit over 2 - much better at LOOKING  rather than just listening.. for ages he would totally misinterpret sound direction !

Totally agree.  That's how humans like me manage.   Looking not just listening.  When I hear an emergency vehicle siren in traffic, I look for the cars front & back starting to pull over.  That tells me the direction it's coming from.  I look at people's lips when they talking & there's background noise.  So it's easy to adapt by stressing the importance of the visual... looking...for dogs in ways that fit them.