Liquid Tramadol

luvmybulldog

Crump has to be given liquid tramadol every 8-10 hours - Can anyone please give me some ideas what I can put it in/on/with to get it down. Syringe gets it into her mouth but she just gags and coughs. She can only eat soft food in tiny pieces mixed with water.  She's also on liquid Meloxicam which goes on her food no problem but the tramadol stinks and she won't have a bar of it.

29 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

And when you’re feeding it give a few tiny pieces of the untainted food first. Get them excited about the taste so they swallow more quickly. You don’t want your dog sniffing suspiciously. 

I'll try - she's not really herself at the moment. She's just come home today from an oral exam under anaesthetic yesterday and isn't showing much interest in anything. Hoping in the morning she is more aware but I'll have to get some tramadol into her later tonight.

Any tablets or liquid medication here goes into honey, I crush the tablets and mix it through the honey, rub a bit on the lips and the rest on the gums, never had a problem doing it this way, honey is an anti biotic as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

Any tablets or liquid medication here goes into honey, I crush the tablets and mix it through the honey, rub a bit on the lips and the rest on the gums, never had a problem doing it this way, honey is an anti biotic as well.

Thank you - I've got a selection now = we have sardines  or scrambled eggs and tomato sauce to try first and if not we will have to try the honey. Thanks everyone will update tomorrow.

• Like 1

Try the above suggestions but unfortunately it tastes nasty so can be difficult to administer. I usually have more success with even tiny fractions of tablets in food but even this can sometimes be difficult if there is oral pathology,