6 month old gulping food without chewing

SamanthaC

Hello,

We have purchased a new puppy 2 days ago. She is a 6 month old Amstaff.

We feed her at the same times we feed our adult dog and have noticed since she has arrived, (well first on the way home when she vomited in the car, kibble that was still whole),  that she gulps her food, without lifting her nose from the bowl and only chews the food occasionally. She really goes for it at first and then it seems shes forcing herself to clean up what's left in the bowl. (puppy dry food)

We feed our adult dog blackhawk with occasional marrow bones and vegetables and plan on feeding her the same diet.

Would one of those bowls with the fingers in it help/change the way she eats in this situation or is there something else we can do at meal times?

Edited by SamanthaC
missed a word

I would feed her away from the other dog ,slow feeders can work.

I would be more inclined to feed on a raised stand ,you can place tennis balls in the bowl.

I too would feed two meals ,well at 6 months it would be getting 2 meals anyway 

I would be cautious with a bone .

Whats the dog like when given food rewards ,a snatcher,self control 

• Like 2

These bowls have been a life saver for us 

https://www.dogtrainingproducts.com.au/dog-bowls/318-kyjen-slow-feeder.html

HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :) 

Slows them right down and makes them think a bit more about what they’re doing. The three pronged usual slow bowls did nothing for us, I’d just get a kyjen slo feeder. 

Other feeders you could rotate could be kongs, treat dispensers & food puzzles. Also snuffle mats. Or, you can just chuck the kibble out on the lawn and she can forage for it. 

Just make sure other dog is well away so she doesn’t feel threatened. (She might think he’ll steal it) 

• Like 2

I saw a video on RSPCA  shop site , it was a square thick plastic mat with little raised prongs or square bits & the dog licks at the food for ages.

I like tennis balls in the bowl, that should work.

Throwing kibble all around the lawn, would be good fun for the dogs, watch them so they don't fight for the food.

• Like 1

Great post Scrappi. :thumbsup:

Samantha, it would be worthwhile having a checkup at the vet to make sure there aren’t any dental issues at play. Also just a good idea in general when you have a new pup or dog. :)

You might also like to join the Canine Enrichment group on Facebook for more ideas about feeding her food in a way that exercises her brain, is fun, and slows down her eating.

• Like 2

Hi - 
where did your dog come from ? 
it may be she has learned to gulp food before it's all gone , or before someone else takes it! 
Feed her seperately ..do NOT let her watch you preparing food ...use a special bowl ...and try feeding her large turkey necks, or 1/;2 chickens- frozen .  She can't gulp those ;) 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the replys.

She is currently fed twice a day and they are separated and always watched while they eat. (we kind of use that time to do a little training such as sit, wait as out other dog does).  She did come from a family with 3 dogs, including her. At the first meal i noticed she stiffened up if Hades went near her while she ate/scoffed but now, day 4 shes still hoovering the food but not tensing up at all  if he walks past while shes eating, but we still supervise.

She has a couple of kongs and a wooden puzzle treat board which she likes to use too.

Thanks for the link Scrappi - that bowl looks the goods. I'll order one of those now.

Dogsfevr, she was jumping at/snatching treats but now taking treats more gently, 70% of the time. Shes learning quick and luckily food is a good motivator for her it seems.  Shes already picked up the 'leave it' command and with a bit more work she'll be good at this.  These dogs are so smart, love them.

Turkey necks, never thought about those thanks persephone!

• Like 2

You need to feed her away from the other dog, irrespective of how good she is being at present she needs to be placed away in a quiet zone without humans and dog being in the space .She needs to learn feed time is calm time .

We don’t feed any dogs here together and we don’t have issues ,we just believe feed time is a time for calm and no drama .

• Like 5

Why are you allowing the other dog to walk past while she eats and you are watching her too? no wonder she is tense.

I feed mine out of sight from each other, and do NILF  too. then  i walk away and leave them to eat in peace.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

You need to feed her away from the other dog, irrespective of how good she is being at present she needs to be placed away in a quiet zone without humans and dog being in the space .She needs to learn feed time is calm time .

We don’t feed any dogs here together and we don’t have issues ,we just believe feed time is a time for calm and no drama .

32 minutes ago, juice said:

Why are you allowing the other dog to walk past while she eats and you are watching her too? no wonder she is tense.

This advice is well worth  repeating :) She is a new puppy ..she needs to feel secure , and that her meal time is hers :)

• Like 3

Mine eat side by side. Synchronised eating :) the Westie is a little character though. It took me a while to work out that he won't eat unless I do. He might nibble just to get through, but will leave most of his meal until I have mine on a plate.

WP_20150813_004-1544x872.jpg

WP_20150813_003-1544x872.jpg

Edited by karen15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, karen15 said:

Mine eat side by side. Synchronised eating :) the Westie is a little character though. It took me a while to work out that he won't eat unless I do. He might nibble just to get through, but will leave most of his meal until I have mine on a plate.

WP_20150813_004-1544x872.jpg

WP_20150813_003-1544x872.jpg

That’s good, but you know your dogs well now, that they won’t worry about each other eating. 

Sounds a bit like this pup is a little nervous about the big dog eating near her. :) 

Wasn't the case in the pic Scrappi. I only got the cocker a month before the pup. I understand dogs can be food possessive / resource guard, which requires a totally different approach. But under normal circumstances I don't agree with not interfering while they eat. I believe you need to be able to approach them while eating and take what they're eating away from them without fuss. You never know when a kid will touch their bowl or bone or approach them while eating or someone will feed them something they shouldn't have. So I train them that food can be taken away, meals interrupted etc. They also know their bowls and know they cannot eat from the other dogs' bowl.

It sounds like the pup in the OP is settling and realising the other dog isn't going to take her food. It's only been 4 days. Unless an altercation is likely, if they were my dogs,  I'd continue to feed in my preferred manner. 

Edited by karen15
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2017 at 4:48 AM, sandgrubber said:

Puppies often get car sick, so no worries about puking in the car.  I have Labs.  Every one I have owned gulps dry food without chewing.  I've never noticed it doing any harm.  

My Lab used to inhale her kibble dinner... thought nothing of it until the day she aspirated some and ended up with aspiration pneumonia... we now feed raw in large pieces she HAS to chew..

All of my dogs get fed separately - 3 adults in separate rooms, and 3 foster pups in individual crates in another room - and I don't need to supervise... *grin*

T.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

My Lab used to inhale her kibble dinner... thought nothing of it until the day she aspirated some and ended up with aspiration pneumonia... we now feed raw in large pieces she HAS to chew..

All of my dogs get fed separately - 3 adults in separate rooms, and 3 foster pups in individual crates in another room - and I don't need to supervise... *grin*

T.

That's the way I like it too, T  :) 

• Like 1

Oh ... @SamanthaC

Why not feed her kibble from a treat dispenser ? That way she can be in  a room , or outdoors , away from the others in the household ..having fun, and getting fed at a much better rate !

A couple of examples . AussieDog aren't cheap, but last forever :) 

https://aussiedog.com.au/product/tucker-ball-medium/

https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/all-for-paws-interactive-food-maze-dog-toy-p-25910

https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/kong-wobbler-large-p-12391

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Its a week now since Luna arrived and i'm happy to say she has slowed right down with her eating and she actually chews, (the bowl i ordered is still enroute in the mail and i'll still use it anyway), and she has even started leaving a few mouthfuls every now and then.

My daughter has been training her with treats to be 'gentle' when taking food  and shes doing so well. I think shes just relaxed perhaps.

We still feed the pair in the same room, albeit about 5 meters apart and she couldn't care less about Hades being there, nor he her, (but then hes always been a gentle dog, even lets the cat take food from him).  They just eat and go sit on the couch, run around together or do whatever.

He's a pic of them playing around in the back:

25352213_10208843061914398_5913901121427

• Like 5