New cocker pup finally here

Eni

My cocker girl is finally here and she is a very loving and gorgeous girl.  She is also a VERY PICKY eater. At the moment she refuses all kinds of kibble (brand from the breeder and others). I bought some barf patties that she eat only if I put little bites down on the floor or if I use them as a training tool. She only eats a little before she gets bored of them.  She loves chicken necks and pasta !!!

Any other suggestions of what I could try to feed her? Is 2 chicken necks a day too much ? At the moment i feed her one and whatever else I get her to eat (without any enthusiasm). She loves bbq chicken but not minced raw one. She is worse than my son !!!!

:)

cocker.jpg

Didn't the breeder give you a diet sheet? LOL if she was eating kibble at the breeder's home, she will eat it still if she is hungry enough! BBQ chicken si for special training treats only, not everyday! Gosh she is wrapping you around her liitle paws LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ha, ha, ha ..she has trained you already!! 
She HAS to learn that things like roast chicken are for a BIG reward ..and it seems she has trained you to feed her this for just breathing ;) 

of course she'll eat "mcdonalds" instead of 'broccoli' - but she NEEDS to eat her "broccoli" 

The breeder should have provided you with feeding information :) Just follow that ..and then gradually introduce her to  a brand of puppy food which suits you .
Chicken necks are fine ..just remember to use LARGE ones ..or feed them frozen . Pups can choke on a whole chicken neck , cos they're about the same shape as a dog's throat .. and can get stuck if swallowed fast :( 

All that said - did the vet give her the 'all clear' at her "Hi - I'm this family's new puppy - just need everything checked please"  visit ? 

if so ..and she is up-to date with vaccs & worming ..then be a bit tough , and stop HER  running the kitchen ;) 

• Like 5

OMG she has me wrapped around her little paw, hasn't she. THe breeder gave me the diet and I followed it but without any interested from her. The vet told me she is healthy and won't starve herself.

I will tough it out and put on my " Gordon Ramsay " attitude and regain my kitchen :) !!!

Edited by Eni
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

When I got my cocker (from work at just under 3yo) fussy was not the word for her. She was fed a strange mix that got soaked and looked and smelled revolting. I transitioned her to kibble and mince, but by jimminies there were days where I had to mix it all together just right or she'd turn her nose up at it. Finally I cracked it and resolved she'd eat what she was fed. Dish put down for 15-20 minutes and taken away till next meal. Well, after the first day I'm googling my dog won't eat LOL  I stuck it out and by the end of the second day she was eating.

That coupled with being on a diet and now she eats whatever she's fed.

• Like 3

Just as long as you feed her something healthy, easy for you, and appetising enough for her she will eat soon.

Perhaps you could entice her to eat the kibble or barf by mixing it with a little extra something, but be prepared to keep feeding this all the time! :laugh:

e.g a little dollop of plain yoghurt or a tsp or so of melted coconut oil or something? :) (My dogs are obsessed with it and it’s great for their skin & fur) and then wean her off it gradually? 

(Idk if this is good advice, I’ve never had to deal with fussy pups haha!) 

And yes do the put down for a certain amount of time, then take it off her if she doesnt eat it. 

• Like 1

I've only had one pup that didn't eat like a horse from the first day (including ones straight off many hours travelling) .. but I did have one BC boy who was quite a picky and reluctant eater for a couple of weeks after he arrived .. quite a worry when you're used to vacuum cleaners.   :laugh:   I'd probably be feeding smaller amounts more often while he's settling down.  Main thing is the vet says he's fine .. so it's a bit of a behavioural thing - but could be some anxiety in there as well.   COmlex little critters puppies are.

ETA - he's a cute little man .. and that paw is just there ready to wrap you around :laugh:.

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Boronia said:

She looks cross in that photo, you gave her BARF instead of her roast chicken didn't you?  :laugh:

She is just lovely, what wonderful colours and obviously very smart!

Do you think she looks cross?  I thought she was looking well satisfied that her strategies have worked to date and deep in contemplation of next plans to have her mum under her paw  :laugh: :laugh:

Little does she know that Vet DOL can be very strict.   :scold: :scold:   Get eating what you are given, little gal  :heart:  :heart:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Yep time for tough live when it comes to feeding .

Not sure how long you have had puppy but keep in mind time difference and lack of competition at food time by other dogs .

You need to be the dogs competition ,here is your food ,you have 5 mins put away .

We never feed at a set time .

Feed time needs to be in a quiet area with no options or alternatives .

Rare but some people use food bowls that smell very plastic ,are weird shaped .

If your puppy arrived in good weight it eats 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 1:43 AM, Dogsfevr said:

Yep time for tough live when it comes to feeding .

Not sure how long you have had puppy but keep in mind time difference and lack of competition at food time by other dogs .

You need to be the dogs competition ,here is your food ,you have 5 mins put away .

We never feed at a set time .

Feed time needs to be in a quiet area with no options or alternatives .

Rare but some people use food bowls that smell very plastic ,are weird shaped .

If your puppy arrived in good weight it eats 

I only had it for a week and she came to me in good health and weight.  She doesn't like to eat from the bowl but prefer if I put it down on the floor and if I stand nearby. The last few feeds I did just that, put down and then take away. She seems hungrier now :)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Eni said:

I only had it for a week and she came to me in good health and weight.  She doesn't like to eat from the bowl but prefer if I put it down on the floor and if I stand nearby. The last few feeds I did just that, put down and then take away. She seems hungrier now :)

I have had a couple of dogs who would scoop up a large mouthful of food, drop it on the floor and eat it from there.  They all have their own little ways and we will never know why LOL  LOL.  Long before phone cameras, sadly, I remember fully one episode.  I’d given my dogs a treat and one of them was running around with it in her mouth, backwards and forwards, around the kitchen, into the lounge.  My brain clicked, I threw a little hand towel on the floor, and that was what she wanted - a little mat to lie on while she ate her treat :laugh:  :laugh:  :heart: :heart: :heart:

You are in for so much fun and laughter with your little girl.   :heart:  

• Like 4