Dog Food Suggestions

Caitlin888

Hi Everyone,

My cavalier cross poodle is currently eating Royal Canin food but it is $50 for 3kg which I am finding it to be quite expensive considering we go through around 1 bag per month. Does anyone have any recommendations on high quality dog food which isn't too expensive??

In my opinion Royal Canin isn’t actually that good, it’s a bit hyped up and overpriced for the quality of the ingredients. 

We usually get Black Hawk as our dogs do well on that, we buy a 20kg bag for about $90-$120 depending on where we buy it and if it’s on special. 

Its $90 from Budget Pet Products. $23 for 3kg. 

Or Meals For Mutts seems great; around $25 for 3kg or $120 for 20kg. 

Or SavourLife, our dogs did well on that and half the profits go to rescue. :) 

Loads of great options! Depends on what suits your dog & your budget.

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

If you are really looking for the best not just the cheapest, then do your research and experiment.  People feed what suits their dog and their lifestyle, be it $10 or $100 . It is not a case of one size fits all.

• Like 2

Royal Canin does not represent quality for money - look at the first 3 ingredients. 

Black Hawk is questionable in my experience - too many people report issues and variable quality between bags/ batches. 

Stay Loyal or Canidae would be worth looking at. 

• Like 1

Most dry food is 50% rice, potato and peas... dunno how anyone can honestly call this high quality food.
Best way to compare brands is to take a quick look at the ingredients.
The ingredients in royal canin are pretty scary to me!

MFM is usually the cheapest of the 'better brands' per kilo if you buy the  20kg bag.
Ivory coat has lower carbs, uses tapioca as main filler instead of potato but is more expensive.
I actually like the ingredients in the new blackhawk working dog formula.

• Like 1

Some like one, some like the other. Nobody liked the Ivory Coat! 

My guys have spat out a variety of the posher foods although they like ziwipeak which is a bit rich for them so it's just a sprinkle on top. Very hit and miss for me and the premium.

Meals for Mutts, everyone loves. It's only a tiny fraction of their diet but I like to offer a bit of variety. 

Royal Canin is a hit but I don't like the way it smells like salty stock cubes.

• Like 1