vet suggested kibble not raw?

juice

Ok, long post ,but need some input on wether to change to kibble as vet suggested.

I have fed raw for years , Roo , Vets all natural, bones ,cooked veggies, egss , sardines etc with no problems, i love it, coats are shiny, poops small and solid.

When i got Zelda 2 years ago the breeder had fed, chicken mince, rice and kibble, and she didn't like the Roo and VANS, unless i put a bit of kibble in, so i use a little Supercoat weight management.

However , took Zelda to vet last night ( xmas week as always !), because in the last 2 weeks she has vomited 3 times, always late arvo on an empty tum, and its just bile, but she was a little flat too yesterday. Her poops are fine, but in the car she farted and stunk the car out and had liquid on her tail when we got there that stank!

About 2 months ago she had really bad diarrhea, but it was after she ran off to the lake and ate duck poop.

Then about a month ago she had really bad wind for weeks, mum was here and she thought it was all the veggies i fed her ( pumpkin, cauli, brocolli), so i cut them out and it seemed to almost go away.

She is a complete food hog and will walk down the street trying to grab berries off the floor , seeds , old banana skins, anything, i try really hard to keep her moving but she will suddenly be chomping on something if i look up for a second!

So , last night the vet said he thought she must have a sensitive tum and that i should cut out the raw ( he is not a fan of raw, he once told me i has probably given Bonn salmonella feeding raw , it was pancreatitis in the end).

He suggested feeding Black Hawk fish and potatoe or Eukanuba .

Now i don't know what to do, kibble does my head in reading  all about the ingredients and what is good and what is a filler and wether premuim is actually better.

I wonder if i should try, perhaps she has got a sensitive gut, or perhaps its just some crap she has grabbed while i wasn't looking.

Any advice on which sensitive tum kibble is good?

Edited by juice

Hard to answer as it would depend on what was causing the dog issues. Did she have issues prior to the last couple of weeks? Has her poo been tested for bugs? 

I wouldn't feed either of the foods the vet has suggested. But that is personal preference and my dogs haven't done well on one of the foods, although that food is probably totally different from the last time I fed it! But then I haven't had much success with a lot of the 'trendier' premium foods that a lot of people on here like ie Ivory Coat, Meals for Muts etc 

What kibble did the last owner feed her? Was she in good condition when you got her? 

:( Not what you needed to hear .

if she is still happy etc .. and IF SHE WERE MINE ... I'd be dosing her with probiotics , using a muzzle when walking to limit the garbage eaten , and feeding low fat raw , with  cooked carrot/pumpkin ... and a snack in the middle of the day to mop up that bile /acid . 
if that didn;t work fairly smartly ... then plan XYZ would be on the table ...

you might want a faecal sample tested for giardia, and other nasties ...

• Like 6

She hadn't had any issues till recently.

Breeder just said cheap supermarket kibble, she was fat when i got her, but her pups had literally just left her.

2nd opinion, hmmm , was $260 yesterday ! ,( antibiotics, jab to settle tum which i thought was overkill, she has a scabby nose too atm which won't heal so he took a scrape and gave antibiotics for that too).

My old vet from the same practice passed away last year he was wonderful, he was fine with me feeding raw , when he went i did change practice  , i saw Rappie who was wonderful, but not near me and is now off to attend to another little one ,so i went back to the old practice as this vet does have a good reputation and he has been great with her runny nose and what to try which has worked.

I have considered using a muzzle, i already have a basket one from years ago, but reluctant as people already cross the road when they see us, plus we get lots of loose dogs around and i worry about her defending herself if she needed to, although she probably wouldn't.

i am thinking leave it and give the muzzle a go?

What about changing the kibble to better quality one? or are they all just the same with different price tags?

She has also been on Pred X for months with her runny nose and only weaned her off it 10 days ago, so could be her immune system is all over the place?

Pers, i thought roo was low fat?

Edited by juice
  • Like 3

roo is low fat , yes. :) it is also a pretty rich food . 

With the pred, and A/B's .. her system could well be  wonky.
After the Christmas break ..why not write a list of every symptom 
stop & look at it ..see if there are things which tie together ...

And yes, if possible, find another vet   .. :(

• Like 3

If you're going to feed kibble heaven knows why they were the options given! Euk is not a great choice. 

I am not a massive fan of Black Hawk overall.  Proplan do a sensitive stomach one. Or maybe look at the Prime 100 patties?

Otherwise maybe look at gut health with something like kefir? Get in touch with sas at The Balanced Canine for some tips. It could be too that the Pred was actually masking the issue this whole time - rather than coming off it being the cause. 

• Like 3

I feed kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner, you could possibly do that if need be. A lot of you on dol don’t really like Black Hawk, but it seems to work really well for our dogs. 

You really kind of just need to know with kibble, some brands are more expensive but still cheap quality (e.g IMO Hills, Royal Canin, Eukanaba, Advance etc). Hills Science Diet has so much “maize”/corn in. Monty was on it when we got him, it smells like Doritos it’s got so much corn! 

I’d have a look at this website if worst comes to worst and you want to try some kibble:

http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/

• Like 3

Oh also have you been feeding a different type of bone by any chance? Scrappi ALWAYS vomits bile a few hours after I have tried him with necks. (So I don’t anymore) 

He used to do it with chicken necks as a pup, and did it when we got some turkey necks. 

Perhaps a similar situation? 

• Like 1

Get yourself a copy of Juliette de Baiircali Levy's book The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat.  I used to feed as per her advice - it is a wonderful diet but quite an effort when you have as many dogs as I do (8)  When it was too much after a day at work. So I now feed 99.9% dry(one extreme to the other!)  

I see this book is still available through <bookfinder.com> either new or secondhand for about $20

• Like 1

I have since read the ingredients on the 2 kibbles her mentioned and they are not great , mind you she currently gets a cup of super coat with her raw and that seems worse .

someone mentioned Natural Balance to me which looks ok .

will get dog probiotics .

My worry now is since going to the vet yesterday and having the jab to settle her tum she hasn’t pooped . She had been going fine  and she always goes twice a day , morning and evening walks . 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Please give dog specific probiotics as the bacteria are specific to dog gut not human gut! I am changing my supplement regime and will be adding this daily for all my dogs based on Dr Chris Zink’s advice. 

I give Protexin for this reason but am curious about what she said?

• Like 2