vet suggested kibble not raw?

juice

Still hasn't pooped since Friday and lethargic now. going to ring the vets this morning and find out how long the Cerenia jab lasts, (no idea apart from bumping up the bill ), why he gave it to her, not impressed tbh.

• Sad 1

She finally pooped , very dry and she struggled . Just called vets to see how long it lasts as still lethargic , and nurse said it doesn’t have that effect , ( every website I checked said it does) . 24 hours is what she said . However just googled Metrogyl which he gave her too and that also can cause it and constipation  . Wish I hadn’t gone at all now and looking for new vet !

Edited by juice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, juice said:

She finally pooped , very dry and she struggled . Just called vets to see how long it lasts as still lethargic , and nurse said it doesn’t have that effect , ( every website I checked said it does) . 24 hours is what she said . However just googled Metrogyl which he gave her too and that also can cause it and constipation  . Wish I hadn’t gone at all now and looking for new vet !

Oh no, wishing you luck with finding someone better. :crossfingers:

2 hours ago, juice said:

Pretty sure I sent you a recommendation a few months ago. Not crazy close, but a good stop gap til you can find someone closer

sorry SM , forgot about that.

Can you send it again please.

She is drinking fine, i googled Cerenia and its for excessive vomiting when they can't stop and travel sickness, i hardly think chucking up a bit of bile a couple of times in last week comes under excessive vomiting!

Scrappi, it was the Balanced life i thought looked ok, however it costs a fortune .

She seems a bit happier now, she has 5 more days on the Metrogyl, and 2 weeks od cephalexinto go.

Pro plan looks the best of the bunch so far.

Edited by juice
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, juice said:

i googled Cerenia and its for excessive vomiting when they can't stop and travel sickness, i hardly think chucking up a bit of bile a couple of times in last week comes under excessive vomiting!

I also don't understand this ..... 
hopefully the two pronged approach of AB ( including anti-protozoans) will clear everything up!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How's Zelda going Juice?  Rheneas is excellent after his bad bout of diarrhoea before Christmas.  It was a much cheaper trip than yours for a good outcome.  All he had was anti-biotics, pain killer and re-hydration - plus a little while on a 'bland' diet til he came good.  The vet was a bit non-commital at best about kangaroo, stopped short of saying don't feed it but I felt that was the drift (mentioned in Boronia's kangaroo meat thread). 

I had completely forgotten my old vet used to tell me to give Bonn half a Zantac tab if she had a dicky tum . 

I have weaned her off all her old food and she is now in Proplan sensitive which she loves , although her coat isn’t shiny anymore . 2 people suggested Costco fish and potatoes which is a third of the price , but while she is ok on this going to see how we go first . 

Ages back the vet put Penny, my old Westie on Zantac syrup for her sore tum, it wasn't overly cheap and I asked my doctor about it so he wrote me out a script for a 300ml bottle (my doctor has a dog, we talk about dogs) I can't remember what Penny's dosage was but it was a minuscule amount and would have lasted her 'till she was 45 but she passed away before even a smidgen of the contents was used. Anyway, perhaps get a script from your doctor Juice, as unfortunatel,y you can't buy it over the counter at a chemists, at least it'll save you some money

image.jpeg.f6a2a723a2ce660e334f9ffe053576d7.jpeg

You can buy Zantac tabs over the counter , because my dogs are heavier it’s ok to give half a tablet . It wasn’t till I met my friend over Xmas with her Belgian I mentioned the big vet bill , she goes there and used to use our old vet there too and she reminded me and said she does it too . Old age seems to be making me forget .

Couple of questions... what breed is your dog?.... also have you emailed Dr Bruce Syme from VAN with the issues?....

Ive been feeding raw using the VAN mix for years now on many different dogs and really don't believe that the VAN is what causes the sort of problems you are talking about... You have had your dog and and off different things for a while now along with various meds which is probably throwing the whole system out of whack....

What you describe later still sounds as tho she may have a bit of a blockage... dogs can still poo (usually loose and squirty) around a small blockage... but then the intestines are under stress and may not be getting a chance to heal properly so the problem keeps re-occuring. Can become a vicious cycle with taking meds which can just mask the problem and then stop the meds and the problems start again.

Diet should always be considered as a start point.... but sometimes it is best to keep things simple.... you have used the VAN diet in the past and have to say this will usually provide much of the needs.  
probiotics and prebiotics we just use yoghurt... we also will feed the dogs some fruits, banana is good and add some oil.

Perhaps it would be good to keep your dog off meat for a time and wait to see if their gut settles down - instead just use veggies where you can either grate or lightly steam veggies and use with the VAN

Bull terrier.

She actually vomited again yesterday, late arvo again, bile , a bit of bone in there.

I did pull a bit of bone out of her mouth the day before on the walk she found while we were walking down the street and she did make a grab at some duck poo several times that day too as it had been raining and it was on the grass verge.

Her poop is solid, no wind atm, off all meds now.

I am still not convinced its the food either, more the crap she grabs at.

I gave her a chicken frame for tea last night, she had never had one before and took her 20 mins to work it out, for a dog that shreds cushions and toys in seconds i was surprised!

i will email Dr symes.

• Like 1

You might be on to something with the rubbish eaten on walks. You can give the best diet in the world  and they will poison themselves with rubbish if they can get it.
Why not try muzzling her for walks for a few weeks and see if that makes any difference. Also look at treats that you may not be consciously counting as food - a lot of commercial dog treats are pretty shoddy fare, raw hides and stuff like that.

• Like 1