proof that the dna tests for breeds is a rip off

asal

if they cant even get it right for identical triplets your paying a lot of money for the bitsa tests with no way to prove they pulled the results out of a hat. but this proves they do just that with your dogs too. (  http://www.dogbreedaustralia.com/dog-breed-testing.php  )

http://www.worldlifestyle.com/shocking/identical-triplets-take-dna-test-just-discover-worrying-truth/16?slides=1

Edited by asal

Proof is a strong word.  So is rip-off.  I'm skeptical by nature, and suspect dog DNA test results should be taken with a grain of salt.  But the supposed 'proof' offered is something I can't swallow.  DNA tests vary, hugely.  You can't generalize from some site that claims to do human testing to dog testing in general.  There's so much crap on the internet.

Btw, to my knowledge there are no identical canine triplets...if they exist at all, they are extremely rare.

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

Some unnamed brand dna test for humans pulling up  marginally  different results on physically-identical* humans with no details as to what quality control, what methods and what databases  they used is not very solid "proof" as to the resilience of dna tests for both humans and dogs.

Should all stop DNA testing for disease markers as well. No more forensics, can't be reliable . Paternity tests? Out they go. They're all similar kinds of tests yknow.

making sure my dog is clear of 159 genetics disease and only carries one that I can now keep an eye out for symptoms as she ages...doesn't feel like a rip off for $150 for me. I guess because she might be 25% mastiff instead of 20% mastiff? I probably shouldn't bother doing it on my pedigree ESS either. Why have a bit of fun and check his health at the same time?

*identical twins do not actually share identical DNA, just very very very very very similar DNA.

• Like 3

I had my boy done. I know the sire was Kelpie and the Dam was cross Border Collie and Australian Koolie.

He came back predominantly Australian Kelpie & Australian Koolie with a smaller percentage Border Collie and a smaller percentage again of Tenterfield terrier.

In my submission for the test I said I had no idea what he was and I didn't supply a photo. So pretty close I reckon.