Hot spots between toes

KobiD

Just double checked the Savourlife listing on petbarn too. No chicken listed in their ingredients, which is why I would have purchased it as an alternate to Mfm.

Petbarn offering a full refund on that.. Then to decide what to do. Order more Mfm or try something else. Will be getting to the vet early next week I think. A round of antibotics wouldn't hurt and some apoquel to help keep things calm.

Edit: dug a bit deeper. The savourlife single protein options are only available up to 10kg bags. The listings they have for 20kg bags work out significantly cheaper, and have a heap of chicken meal as the filler to allow that. Something to be mindful of if you have a dog with allergies.

Edited by KobiD

• 4 weeks later...

I have just read all through this post and am grateful you have kept coming back and adding info each year. I have a very young puppy (14 weeks) struggling with some type of allergy rash and I am struggling to know how to manage it already!! He has only been with us for 6 weeks and we have had 3 expensive vet appointments and if anything his issues have worsened. I gained a lot of useful information in your thread. So Thanks :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ended up moving to the Savourlife single protein (ocean fish). Has taken her a bit to adjust to it too, with some rather soft bowel movements; a touch softer than I'd like. I have another bag of mfm to go to again as it's the tried and true.. but I do think it's mostly environmental. 

I found a small patch of paspalum grass seeding down the back yard and it seems to align with that. I keep digging it out, but each year it keeps trying to grow! 

This season felt long and nasty, but I also ran out of apoquel in the midst of it too.

So thus far I have found the best approach for us is early detection. If I can get the itch under control early then the symptoms seem to hold fast. If not she flares up more, scratches more, and the hairloss and irritation becomes a lot more broader (further up legs, belly, chest etc). Any open skin responds well to betadine and/or metho washes (diluted with water in a spray bottle).

She's on the mend now, and should have enough drugs to keep things under control next season. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hippity Hop! Bumpity Bump! Merry Christmas to all, and long time no activity from me.

Wet season was a bit late to arrive this year, but with the increase in humidity, a little rain, and some flourishing grass in the yard we've yet again seen some skin irritation (feet, back of legs, etc).

Decent quantity of apoquel on hand and a 1/4 dose seems to settle her down significantly. Treating any areas with either water/metho mix to dry areas out, or betadine.. Malaseb washes when she gets a bit smelly too.

No significant changes in diet. Still keeping a healthy weight, and nice stools on Mfm (Kangaroo/Fish). 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

And so it continues. Shes a smelly dog! She gets a bit itchy.. Her little feet and legs get a bit inflamed.. But we are managing through the season with some meds, some washing, and keeping on top of it..

Nearly certain to be an environmental trigger.. pattern continues year by year..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1