Dog walkers walking multiple dogs

BarbedWire

9 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

.... I do wonder how those dog walkers would respond to approach by a large, off leash dog.

'Home here' just a sense of oncoming doom.  They say New Yorkers don't get involved, but that wasn't my experience, probably more community spirit there than most places.  I think if a walker called to people for help it would be forthcoming.

I think the potential for things to go pear shaped in the right circumstances is increased tenfold with that many dogs. I used to walk up to seven large dogs for many years nothing ever went badly pear shaped but I was walking in a rural environment and I knew all the dogs in the town where friendly. Was I ever complacent, NEVER I knew that just because it had never happened didnt mean it wouldnt i.e. if some travellers pulled up in the park and had their dog off lead we didnt go there, Im not very trusting of the average owners assessment of their dog (that comes from my instructor years). 

If I was paying someone to walk my dogs and be assured that person was going to keep them safe I wouldnt hire someone who assured me they couldhandle that many dogs under all circumstances, because I believe they are either lying or naive.

On 05/01/2018 at 4:47 AM, sandgrubber said:

Complete control is a big ask.  I walk three Labs in our small town.  They are good most of the time.   The exception is encounter  with loose dogs. I know they COULD pull me off my feet if a loose dog came bounding up to us.  I also know that I can prevent this from happening by sitting down.  Has happened a few times.  I scream bloody murder.  Sometimes someone comes out and collects the loose dog or the dog goes away .. one time no one responded and I had to let go of my dogs.  The approaching dog turned tail and ran.

I do wonder how those dog walkers would respond to approach by a large, off leash dog.

Never seen dogs off lead in NYC other than in the dog parks (or designated off leash areas). 

Majority of dogs I'd see on our walks (with a friend who lives there and owns a dog) didn't even pay heed to other passing dogs.  No barking and lunging at the mere sight of another dog. 

I see it being that many dogs there don't place a high value on other dogs - because they don't get forced into what happens here - thrown in a park with lots of other dogs off lead and expected to figure things out. 

• Like 2