Preparing for NYE fireworks

Scrappi&Monty

Thought everyone could share any tips or advice for preparing for tomorrow’s festivities. 

Monty has become quite anxious of storms lately, each time there is one we do some counter conditioning training games and he climbs up for cuddles, but he is obviously still unsure of them. 

Nothing too bad yet, but I better help while it’s only a little fear, lip licking, yawning, pacing, only settling if he is on me etc. 

I’ve been thinking about getting an adaptil collar but they’re really quite expensive for only 3-4 weeks effectiveness...  

So not too sure how the fireworks will go down. If we ever hear “surprise” ones at local events I grab some high value treats and play training games. I was thinking we could leave them inside the house, with their beds, a good long lasting treat to focus on, blinds drawn, lights on & TV playing quite loudly to drown noise? Or would it be best to make sure someone was home with them. We’d only be gone 45 mins most, and he couldn’t possibly escape but I don’t want him to have to get panicked. :( 

Scrappi (who is his K9 security blanket) will be with him of course. 

Would it be best to duck over to the pet shop and get some anxiety stuff? 

What does everyone think of adaptil & thundershirts? Any other products that are really effective? 

Thanks for reading this ramble haha 

We stay home, (close the doors so they are in the loungeroom & kitchen (the walls are thick), put on a loud movie lol and the air con because it makes background noise. And get out the roo tendons. :)  Being pretty close to the city, it's a well rehearsed little routine. 

• Like 2

i'll be home. thistle is ok with fireworks but im expecting thyme to be alarmed. he is nervous over new surprising sounds and has a grouch when people have parties outside our house. being will be his first fireworks, im going rescue remedy + a bone or kong. if very upset, i'll bring him into my bedroom to cuddle while i read a book or something. i've been playing fireworks each day on the tv but can only go so loud and it doesn't echo/vibrate.

hoping T1 will show him nothing to fear. with luck he will accept it like he did with storms.

• Like 2

I live just a couple of hundred metres from where the towns firework display goes off. It’s seriously like being in a war zone even inside, so I’ve arranged to drop Tits out at my old property a few kms from town for a sleepover with my ex. He’ll be asleep by 9 o’clock and Tits will snore his way through it tucked up on the bed.

me on the other hand will have to suffer through the warefare of the fireworks and the general rambunctious frivolity on the river, on the riverbank, in the caravan park etc etc. The town is inundated with tourists.

But the thing I truly struggle with is hearing hundreds and hundreds of galahs, cockatoos, corellas, swamphens, and various other birds and wildlife, screeching and screaming in fear of their lives flying around like crazed things. 

I really effing detest fireworks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

With the Adaptil you could try the spray that you can get from vets (only vets). You apply it to a banadana or bedding, wait 10 minutes, then put bandana on dog/allow access to bedding.

The spray only lasts a couple of hours but this makes it perfect for situational use vs the collars and diffusers which are better for long term support.

• Like 2

I stay home too. neither of my dogs are going to get super upset, Poppy gets a bit anxious. I just got into the habit of staying home when I had horses and just prefer to stay home now. I don't want to think about being out having fun when the pets are potentially distressed at home. 

• Like 1

I noticed yesterday a bonfire built in the paddock one door down, Im hoping Im wrong about it.

Our council spends an awful lot of our rates on fireworks every year. It really pisses people off because there are plenty of paddocks around with horses sheep and cattle in them and they often get loose. Having two main highways going through town  makes it even worse.

Im so thankful Gilly is deaf and cant hear them now he used to get terrified.

Everyone seems to want fireworks even the local catholic school fete had fireworks this yea!

I will make sure my lot will have a bone in their crates with blankets on them, Cedro has a problem with the lights of fireworks sometimes.

• Like 1

this might be trickier than planned! house next door has at least two dogs over for NYE. Barky-growly ones (hopefully playing!).

It's got thistle all hackled up and grumbly so everyone inside a bit earlier than expected. thinking give thyme his first calm drop when is dark, get the movies on, get the kongs out (must buy a second kong!!!)

• Like 1

Hope all Dolers are safe.  It's not the time I suppose to repeat what I've said for years, fireworks have had their day, we should know when to stop.  So sorry to hear of the NSW accident with them.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nye-fireworks-barge-catches-fire-in-terrigal/news-story/ccdf138d360e10753fbf3d09dc6d48b3

Edited by PossumCorner
add news link

Guest crazydoglady99

Adaptil collars are awesome! (You can get them a bit cheaper online)

The other week in the crazy storms; I picked up a gorgeous kelpie running along the side of the road.

With her owners permission, I put an adaptil collar on her while she was with us. Thunder crashing and she was happily playing with a tennis ball! Definitely an improvement from the dog that was shaking and terrified moments earlier.

Edit to say Happy New Year all!!

Edited by crazydoglady99

On 30/12/2017 at 10:40 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

You apply it to a banadana or bedding, wait 10 minutes, then put bandana on dog/allow access to bedding.

Oh that’s a great idea to put it on a bandana!! Thanks PK :) 

That might be more affordable since that would be like an adaptil collar but only when it’s needed. :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, animallover99 said:

Adaptil collars are awesome! (You can get them a bit cheaper online)

The other week in the crazy storms; I picked up a gorgeous kelpie running along the side of the road.

With her owners permission, I put an adaptil collar on her while she was with us. Thunder crashing and she was happily playing with a tennis ball! Definitely an improvement from the dog that was shaking and terrified moments earlier.

Edit to say Happy New Year all!!

Happy New Year too! 

That’s really good of you to put the adaptil collar on her, sounds like she needed it. We thought Monty couldn’t escape now with the Monty-proof-fence, but one day we were out and there was a huge unexpected thunder and hail storm and poor Monny ran away! That was terrifying (for everyone!!), he was luckily picked up by a lovely lady who we told her where the spare key is and she let him inside the house. 

I might do what PK suggested and put the spray on a bandana, because at home (when it’s good weather) which is most of the time he is so chilled and happy. He only gets anxious when on walks sometimes (overstimulated & reactive... we’re working on it but adaptil May help in combination with current training... opinions??) 

And storms... and when he is separated from Scrappi...

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

After having a GSD who opened drawers and tried to hide in them whenever there was a storm, I start preparing them for storms and fireworks from the day they come into my home.

I play a storm noises CD through my home theater system when they're nice and relaxed, and when they're a few months old I take them to the local rifle range  and starting from a couple of hundred metres back I slowly introduce them to that sharp crack.

My last 2 GSD's had no fear of storms, to the point that one would get excited at the first sign of thunder, and the other would just lay down and be all "meh, wake me when it's time for a walk"

• Like 1