Dog pram/stroller/pusher advice please

Pjrt

Hi all

im after any feedback regarding prams for dogs. It’s not something I ever thought I’d be considering, but I’m in the market for one.

i currently have a middle aged small dog. I like to go for a good long walk most days but my small dog conks out usually about 20 to 30 mins from the finish line. Where we like to walk is a recreational area away from home that’s one way in way way out sort of thing. So I was thinking maybe to push a pram until he’s done, and push him the rest so I can go a bit further. And handy when it’s warm, and handy to take cargo such as water and bowl, which we currently usually leave at the car, which again limits our range.

Also, if the puppy gods are on my side, I’ll be getting a very large breed very active breed puppy sometime probably a bit later in the year, so will want to extend well beyond the walking range of my small dog. Getting small dog used to a pram now will also mean it’s easy to introduce walks with the pram from day one with large puppy. 

Ok, so I’m after a heavy duty all terrain kind of thing. I’m prepared to pay whatever to get something that suits the task and will see us through almost daily use for several years......

Thanks 

These blog shots are almost off topic but not quite.  I'd thought about 'something like' for when Frodo was an old doggie.  He would have loved it because he was a natural at climbing and balancing.   Now Rheneas has hit that age group but he would resist every step of the way, it would never work for him.  Beanne in Thordale's link always rode ponies bareback so it suited her when she was ill.

http://myshetland.co.uk/beanne-and-waffle/#comments

Boronia that is genius.  Best practical recycling of the handle too.  Might do an op-shop search this week. 

Mingaling a lot depends on the individual dog.  Frodo would ride happily in or on anything with confidence, from a bike basket to a ute.  But Rheneas hates even cars, gets car-sick if I suggest a ride, that's before he gets in.  He would never stay in a wheelbarrow, garden cart, shopping trolley, pram or the like for more than four wheel-turns.  And that was when free-wheeling young and fit - now he is getting older and frailer he would stress out beyond any benefits. 

I had 3 dogs of varying ages, the oldest being an almost 17 stafford. She could hardly walk but insisted on not being left behind so we got a dog pram. She'd get out of the car, start the walk, give up and go into the pram. Then we could finish the walk and the other 2 could get exercise! I was also at a doggy event and there was a lab inside one of those bicycle attachments that I think are designed for children to sit in while the parent pedals the bike. So doggy prams and the like are good for even medium and larger breeds, not just your small fluffies!

• Like 1

I bought a bike trailer/stroller for one of our greyhounds when walking got too painful for her (bone cancer), so she could still come on morning walks with our other two greys. I got the largest I could find at the time, but there was quite a range of smaller trailer/strollers available. Only problem I found with it was that dropping the back of the kids' seat down to provide more room meant that the stroller was unabalanced and the front wheel would lift. Fixed that by putting a couple of weights in the front "footwell". Lulu loved it and I wished I'd bought one years ago - at least two of our now departed greys would have made good use of it. It's currently in the shed, unused, but won't hesitate to get it out if our current oldie ever needs it.

Dog strollers for small breeds are readily available online in Australia. Sometimes you can pick them up second hand om ebay or gumtree. The basic models, from memory, are about $150 new (plus shipping). Or if you are handy you can make your own as Boronia has done!
stroller.thumb.jpg.9ba4c15743e2c41f40619c40176bbccd.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

https://www.buddywagon.com.au/

Besides prams especially those with larger dogs consider something like these ,We brought a similar one from BCF ,holds 80kg & we use it to cart stuff on the property /shows etc etc & would use it for our larger dogs if required,folds up compact & multi purpose

I saw people at Movieworld with kids and picnic stuff in them at a White Christmas event! Wished one of the daddies would've pulled me around in one for a bit!