Moon special events in January

PossumCorner

Tonight was supposed to be a super moon or a blood moon.  It looked pretty normal to me, was white against a milky sky for the first hour or so, I took a quick photo to spark up some enthusiasm for the late January event: and mini New Year's Resolution to use a Nikon for that one, not the little Lumix which is over-challenged by star and moon stuff.

P1050900D-M.jpg

End of the month is supposed to be super moon, blood moon, semi eclipse all on one night, hope it won't be cloudy and there is something good to see.  I think this link gives some detail of times and what is happening.

https://www.space.com/39208-super-blue-blood-moon-guide.html

Edit to add: reading that link pointed out my errors in this post: I blame it on mis-information from a radio announcement this afternoon. 

Edited by PossumCorner
fixt.
  • Like 2

You lucky duck gillybob.  We live on a corner, fairly flat with not many trees.  Anyone driving up the road a kilometre away can see me hanging the washing out from one road or feeding the chooks from the other.  Only ten cars or so a day - just can't rely on no-one driving past at critical moments though.

Lucky on the rain too: can't believe we have just had over an hour of black clouds with thunder and lightning, and not one drop of rain.

Really looking forward to the full moon on the 31st, unfortunately we tend to cop a bit of cloud cover even in Summer :o

Shame it's a Wed night, but I'm still considering taking a drive an hour or so North to get a better vantage point. 

• 4 weeks later...

I so missed the event.  Didn't catch the early moonrise, and then we had enough cloud across the eclipse to miss it.  Next morning I was still sleep deprived, but went out for moon-set just in case it was awesome.  It was good, just not what I'd had in mind.

DSC00461A-M.jpg

This morning I was a bit earlier and there was a lovely white moon in a blue sky so made another attempt.

DSC00573A-M.jpg

Did anyone have a good view of the eclipse?  Take photos or yawn and go back to bed?

Edited by PossumCorner
Fixt.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched it and took some pics but my longest lens is 200mm so no good. What I did do a couple of mornings later was to get out of bed and take the dogs for a walk up the local park at 4.30am and it was magical.  The moon was so incredibly bright, I didnt use a torch, just walked in the moonlight. the dogs love it when we do stuff like this.     It was one of those walks I will remember forever.

Edited by Kirislin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...