52/2018

Scottsmum

Bowie is lovely - and I like in the other thread he is looking just slightly in awe of Bella looking so elegant - not demoralised, just aware.

This is not cute - consternation in the early morning as a small eagle/large hawk settled on the high corner post of the orchard.

DSC01922A-M.jpg

Looking out for goose or duck eggs, or a rabbit by the dam, or a chicken out and about when it shouldn't be.

DSC01919A-M.jpg

What I didn't notice til I looked at the shot on computer was how a Noisy Miner had chosen a little fruit tree with yellow stems for camouflage to lie low til the hawk had gone.  Cleverness.

DSC01954A-M.jpg 

Brief return to cuteness as Arnold sees the commotion and hurries up in case there's food.

DSC01958A-L.jpg

While three boy-geese set up a line to watch the intruder til it flies off.

DSC01928A-L.jpg

• Like 6

This is a photo of a spiny cheeked honeyeater in our eremophila bush . taken thru the windscreen  of the 4WD the other day :)  I love these birds- with their liquid warble, and blue eyes ..

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

And this is our Winter "Red Fog" , A.K.A. Dust storm ..not a really bad one .. in that it was fast -moving in 62Km/h winds ..but.....

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

lastly - an image I liked from the recent Adelaide street wanderings :) 

Image may contain: cat and outdoor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bird - tick.  Cat - tick.  Dust storm - thud!  Never seen it like this here in winter, often windy/dusty but sheesh that is horrendous.  Will you get some of the rain out of this lot, we have only had the odd spit for weeks now, and a dump of hail - but the hailstorm smashed the rain-gauge apart so no stats.  I still have baby lambs in the house because the wind is like frozen knives even in the sheds. 

• Like 1

@PossumCorner..

It is a very unsettling Winter :( One pop used to call a 'green Drought' ..JUST a slight tinge of new growth ..kept alive by traces of rain every so often ... but not grown high enough to graze. Water not soaked far enough down for many tap-rooted plants..and massive dust clouds floating past from farmers S/W of us, in SA - who  worked up , many of whom sowed ..and then didn't get the follow-up rain . Their topsoil has now been up-lifted..a lot of grain which did sprout has been battered and decapitated by being sand-blasted ...it's just horrible , but at least most of us are near permanent water , unlike so many on the land away from rivers or pipelines :cry: 

There are many important things ..and watching some of our old sheep suffering is not nice .... our sheep are usually born and die here ..and if these oldies look to be really lagging, we'll shoot them for sure . 
Two days ago what brought me to tears was the sight of my 30 yr old  Cymbidium orchid which the (starving) roos had finally found and chewed off . A lot of them are next on the list for a quick exit from this world... getting very bony & slow. :( 1532150296239.thumb.jpg.9faf14f453c18cddfac93d94ea1f8a0c.jpg

Please excuse the OT ramblings, folks....  

• Sad 1

Great photos everyone!

In saying that your description of life at the moment made me feel anxious for you Perse.  Bit of a worry with winter coming to an end which is when you could normally at least expect decent rain. 

Edited by Roova

Late for last week's photo sorry. Another lovely warm day on the Gold Coast.  Most beaches need life guards all year round, some are professional but many are volunteers too.  

2018-07-23_07-10-47

• Like 4

Roova that is so Australia, and wonderful blues.  Had to be a Nikon?

I did say I didn't buy anything at the Sheep Show.  That was a white lie (see ot thread re people who fib) because these two actually followed me home.

29/52

DSC02011A-M.jpg

Their back-story is unreal, they are now six weeks old.  As newborn/one-day old they came off a drought property in central NSW, travelled all the way to Victorian saleyards in the dog-boxes under a semi trailer.  Only because the driver knew someone who just might try to save them: and taking at that age with sheep to the yards not legal etc.  So a pretty fabulous person met the truck out from Melbourne, and took (not saying how many) lambs to bottle-raise.  Harley and Rose are two of them, so they've had a pretty adventurous little life so far.  I maybe chose them because they'd been named for a song I used to like, about love drifted apart, love re-found

(… This time they said it was for real …. Like static on the dial, a look comes back in style
Harley and Rose, they just lost it for a while) - Black Sorrows, good stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:24 PM, persephone said:

@Scottsmum

I just love the photo of light & shadow inside..with baby george  crawling around a corner  ......  it is such an interesting study :) 

Thanks Perse. I love it. Shame the corner of the desk got in it & ruined the lines.

• Like 1