52/2018

Scottsmum

Poor Queenie :(

You can show your Tits any time you like @mingaling sooo cute! 

I baby sat my 'nephew' Saturday and I don't think he had a great time lol. He spent the first hour staring out the window waiting for his mum to return. 

2018-03-04_06-34-12

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

So that's where that dust-storm came from: and there I was blaming Broken Hill.  It's pretty bad Perseph, I'm the same, no feed here, I'm now over-stocked on my small patch, bare ground blowing away (not to mention a weekly feed bill that is scary).

No photos, didn't seem right.  My next door neighbour's hay shed burnt down yesterday, lost their Autumn supply of hay for sheep, horses - got most stuff out before it went wild, but still lost some machinery as well as the hay and the shed.  Had its spectacular moments.  House and vehicles okay, people okay, animals okay.  Six fire engines, they came from every town around.  So lucky, no-one complaining, if the hot wind had changed it could have hit the box forest next door and full on bushfire through farms.  Never a dull moment, but couldn't shoot it this time.

• Sad 2

8/52

So sad: little crested dove, first day out of the nest.  Two days later a hawk swooped in and took it, right next to the back step.  Magpies then attacked the hawk and it dropped the dove but too late already dead.  So admit feeling a bit anthromorphic and instead of giving it back to the predator birds I buried it under a rose bush.  There are two left bopping around okay.

DSC00868A-M.jpg

9/52

And it would have been nice to get just one pear from my super cropping pear tree, but that was never going to happen was it!  Next year I might net it, but don't like the risk of a bird getting injured in the net.  Big day tomorrow: our first day of volunteer clean-up picking in a pear/apple orchard - so not going hungry for pears in the greater scheme, just the opposite.

DSC00939A-M.jpg

• Like 1

The little dove is adorable,  I'm sorry you had to see it's demise. It sounds like it was a swift end which is a relief.

Love the picture of the cockys enjoying your long-awaited fruit. They really look like they don't care you're missing out! You can buy cheap mesh bags on eBay which you can pop around budding fruit and tie to the tree branch. Maybe you could cover multiple low fruits so at least you're left with some?

Edited by Roova
  • Like 1

aww..love the crested pigeons ..altho how they ever get to being adults amazes me ..with about 5 sticks for nests !  sorry this little one didn't make it . 
we didn't get any pears, almonds , nashis or plums :( parrots are fat & happy.