12 year old King Charles Cav - are we near the end?

cavmad

I have a King Charles Cavalier who is 12. He's always been a very active dog, loves the beach and even did flyball. No heart problems but had a luxating patella operated on when he was young and made a great recovery. Both of my kids are terribly fond of him but we are thinking he may be nearing the end. His back legs literally fall out from under him at times - although he can still jump up to get onto my daughters bed. Sounds wierd but my husband and I think he has started developing 'parkinsons' type symptoms lately and they have gotten progressively worse. It's mainly with little shakes of the head. 

My husband and I were talking about taking him to the vet and the possibility of him having to be put to sleep if something was really wrong. Unbeknown to us, our young daughter heard the conversation and will now not let the dog out of her sight. I took him to the vet around 6-8 months ago and discussed his legs and the vet did a full exam and said he didnt appear to be in any pain, just had some arthritis and gave him a course of cartrophen injections. I know I need to take him to the vet and my husband and I are currently working on him getting her out of the house so I can take the dog for a checkup but I just wanted to know if anyone else had any info on the head shakes, which started out slight and seemed to have increased. I could say they are twitches but they seem a little more than that.

• Sad 1

Hi cavmad, sorry to hear your boy is not doing so well. The head shakes sound neurological. Take him to the vet as he may need to start some pain relief for the arthritis as well. I've always included the kids, depending on their age, in the care of our dogs. This is where you show your daughter how to care and look after others and the elderly, an important part of life looking after a much loved family member. Hope it all goes well.

• Like 4

Talk to your daughter, tell her your dog really need to see the vet, promise her no decisions about his care will be made without her input and go to the vet with her.  

Good luck.  

To me 12 doesn’t seem old, but of course it is.   I seem to have forgotten that my first two dogs died young (heart disease with one and cancer with the other) but since them I’ve had several dogs who’ve lived until well into extreme old age.  

My thoughts are with you all.    

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 3

Sending hugs :heart:

A vet check will be necessary, even if he’s fine it’s better for your peace of mind. 

Depending on your daughter’s age and maturity, it might just be a good idea to have a chat with her about it. It’s an inevitable part of life, and since she heard the conversation between you two it might be better to include the kids. Hard as it may be, she’s probably cluey enough to realise you’re hiding something from her, that she may be ‘big’ enough to handle. (Well at least to understand that pup is old and a bit sick and that he needs to enjoy the last of his days. I don’t think anyone is ever ready to see their pet go. :cry:

And in relation to the head shakes, I can’t remember what it is but there’s a bad neurological disease that CKCS get that involves head shakes. :(

Something to do with the brain is too big for the skull. :( 

The vet will know all about whatever it is and be able to help. :heart:

ETA: I was thinking of Syringomyelia which is quite common in CKCS. A not very nice thing to have. :( 

I’m certainly not very knowledgeable on it, but apparently symptoms include head shakes, scratching neck, neck pain, & weak legs. 

I’d be going to a vet soon if possible, even just tell your daughter he has to go for a checkup... (which is true) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, our cav turned 13 on Jan 8th 2018 and has just turned 14. He is almost completely deaf now..barely hears us calling him from a few centimetres away. We think his eyesight might be going as well. He doesnt tun into things but he stands and stares at walls and can be sensitive to our touch, as though he doesnt expect it. My poor old man. We love him so so much and the kids are so accommodating to his needs. Only time we see his old spark is at dinner time.

You need to be alert for canine dementia at this stage.
I have had blind and deaf dogs and they function quite well with just their noses, however I usually have had another dog at the time that has chosen to be their shepherd dog LOL. As long as he is not in any major discomfort from his arthritis (maybe try him on Rose Hip Vital for dogs if he is) there is no need to say goodbye just yet.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 10:02 AM, cavmad said:

Only time we see his old spark is at dinner time.

Because his sense of smell works ...and that time is the only time  he gets to use it  ;) 

take him out in a stroller for short jaunts.Ensure he is used to his new limousine before taking him out of your house/yard !! Lots of pats & treats along the way :)
hide pieces of salami /roast chicken /liver treats  for him ...  ( just lay them in spots near doorways , along paths , ...on lawn) 
Don't forget to gove him him BIG  meaty bones on which to suck/chew :) a world of pleasure lies therin ..texture/taste/smell 

use  drops of  real vanilla  to help him locate things :)

use a walking stick or something to  tap fairly hard on the floor ..he may feel the vibrations . Do this..train him with yummy things ...and this way, perhaps let him know you are nearby  ? 

14 is a great age for a Cav and some do live until they are 16.  If he is deaf, then he will jump at your touch as he doesn't know you're there.  As you approach him, bang on the floor or wall so that he can feel that you're approaching by the vibrations.  And with deaf dogs, you need to touch them gently until they realise you are there.  

3 hours ago, jemappelle said:

14 is a great age for a Cav and some do live until they are 16.  If he is deaf, then he will jump at your touch as he doesn't know you're there.  As you approach him, bang on the floor or wall so that he can feel that you're approaching by the vibrations.  And with deaf dogs, you need to touch them gently until they realise you are there.  

what also works :

My Westie, Daisy, was deaf, so if she was asleep I used to gently blow on her to get her attention.

Also use hand signals, scroll down on this link for the basics https://www.dog-training-excellence.com/dog-training-hand-signals.html

Edited by Boronia