A dog loo that looks like a winner!

westiemum

Hi DOL brains trust,

Just came across this on kickstarter (yes I know... I'm a kickstarter addict! LOL!)

What do you think for those of us with tiny backyards,  tiered backyards, courtyards, balconies, apartment dwellers etc?

I'm seriously thinking of giving it a go with my very old westie Sarah.  I have an ideal spot next to a tap on the top tier of my little backyard that might make life much easier for her and for me! (She can't manage the steps down to the lawn so I need to carry her down quite a few times per day).

Thoughts? :thanks:  :)

ETA: Love the 'male add-on!  LOL!

Edited by westiemum
  • Haha 1

Actually the automatic timing of the "flush" worries me. So what happens if your dog is using it when the "flush" comes on? Might be traumatic for the dog, even if harmless and could easily trigger their future avoidance of that spot.

Better to have one that you hose off yourself, I think.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

Actually the automatic timing of the "flush" worries me. So what happens if your dog is using it when the "flush" comes on? Might be traumatic for the dog, even if harmless and could easily trigger their future avoidance of that spot.

Better to have one that you hose off yourself, I think.

I agree but if your dog only goes out at certain times you would soon know their routine and adjust the flush accordingly. If dog is outside all day would be easy to turn the timer off. I like the idea. My concern would be how wet does the "grass" stay as I've had dogs in the past who hate getting their feet wet.

• Like 2

Hi all,

After RPs great question I went back to the developers and here's their reply just through:

Dear ,

Thanks for your mail and feedback.

Yes, we are aware of the possibility of the dog getting wet. But in most 
cases it's only a bit on the dog's feet (unless you have a very small dog).

We considered installing a sensor to avoid this but we decided against it 
as the extra cost and engineering efforts would not have been worth the 
benefit.

The average flush is only 10 seconds every 2-4 hours.

If you are interested to order a Woofloo then please order directly at our 
website at www.woofloo.com/shop 
Because our Kickstarter campaign ends.

Hmn... Rabanne I think you might be on to something given the info which has come back.  My Sarah hates getting her feet wet too - but I'm imagining that you could change the flush timing down to as little as once or twice a day - and here, even in winter it would dry overnight. And cos of how the backyard here is configured (on 2 levels with very steep steps) it still might be a good thing for her and me if I don't have to navigate those steps in the dark.  Will give it some more thought.  Thanks guys :) 

• Like 2

I imagine that you could simply ensure that the tap it is connected to was firmly turned OFF except when you went out and turned it on. But honestly, I think the automatic watering is the reason for the high price tag on this one - appealing to the "no mainentance' crowd. (Although you would still need to collect and dispose of faeces daily.)

Honestly @Westiemum, if I were you I would buy two of the fake grass on plastic tray types ( plenty of different brands, average about $30 each brand new) put one outdoors in the spot you were looking at for the kickstarter one and hose it twice a day - while it is drying, swap it for the dry one so no wet feet (unless it rains).

I have an indoor emergency one (much like this Kmart cheapie) and I bought a metre of extra fake grass from Bunnings which I cut up into extra mats so there is always a dry one to put down.:walkdog:

• Like 2

LOL!  Great suggestions as always - thanks all.  While I really like the idea for long days when I'm away and the westies can't come with me (and they usually do) I take your point about the 'no maintenance crowd'.   Suspect my kickstarter addiction is also playing a part here :laugh:.  And the KMart solution is a good one to see if my fussy Sarah will wee on fake grass anyway.  Thanks guys. :thanks:  

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was just thinking... has anyone come across a pee pad where there is the base then an absorbent disposable pad and the grass on top?  The disposable pad to catch the wee would make it much easier to manage (my hands aren't fabulous these days). 

Just a thought.... I was in Cheap as Chips  yesterday afternoon and they had big rolls of fake grass but can’t remember how much it was, maybe using a big roll of grass you can make up one of your own and just replace the grass when needed.

Meant to add... it was the one opposite Hollywood Plaza.

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦

8 hours ago, westiemum said:

I was just thinking... has anyone come across a pee pad where there is the base then an absorbent disposable pad and the grass on top?  The disposable pad to catch the wee would make it much easier to manage (my hands aren't fabulous these days). 

Yes, there are types that have pads you place underneath the drainage grid which lies under the fake grass (.e.g. the Spotty Potty) or other types where the urine drains into a small removable container for easy disposal. ( e.g. The Pet Loo). The downside is that these types cost a lot more.

With the cheap K-mart type that I have, there is absolutely nothing to stop you placing a pee pad on the bottom tray under the drainage grid or I suppose over the drainage grid and under the fake grass. You might need to experiment with brands to find a pee pad that matches the size of your tray.

Just a thought.... I was in Cheap as Chips  yesterday afternoon and they had big rolls of fake grass but can’t remember how much it was, maybe using a big roll of grass you can make up one of your own and just replace the grass when needed.

Marg you are right about Cheap as Chips! I was in there today grabbing bargain rolls of floor vinyl and I was admiring a lot of their pet bargains (especially the chain mesh run about 3m square with shadecloth roof all for under $250! I don't need yet another dog run/outdoor cat run but it seems a bargain for those who do!)
The fake grass and the pet run are listed in their latest catalogue (sorry if I'm enabling anyone...)

Edited by RuralPug
  • Haha 1

Chain mesh?  Did someone mention chain mesh?  I may have to re-do my temp fencing so I might have a look at that too. 

Thanks RP and Marg for your comments on the cheap Kmart one using pads.  While I know its not as environmentally friendly, my hands are not fabulous these days so I have had to start thinking in terms of what I can also manage physically - and spilling dog wee everywhere cos my hands are not what they used to be doesn't thrill me greatly!  I passed on buying a tremendous old fashioned cast iron baking tray the other day as I was worried I literally could't handle it beause of the weight - if only I was ten years younger! 

As an aside, my old girl Sarah who is 16 years 6 months last Saturday, was bounding around on the lawn this morning like the energiser bunny!!  Couldn't believe it!  Came up the lawn ramp at the side of the garden like a two year old! (Well a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift!)  While she's still very wobbly at times, and she slept the whole day on Saturday (maybe thats where it came from!), she really is incredible for such an old dog. Happy, mobile, smiley old girl.  Which is why I'm so keen to find her a toiletting solution for the 'top tier' of the back garden if I can.   

• Like 3