Snuffle Mats & Balls

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

Hi you clever dolers, 

Just wondering if anyone recommends a particular company for Snuffle mats & balls?

I know there is like a billion places that sell them, was hoping there was a recommendation from someone that has bought one of good quality etc.

(Maybe Littlegifts wants to make me one.. wink wink)

Thanks everyone!

I can't believe I even noticed this post but I did! I don't make them but I know someone who does. She sells them for $30 and the money all goes back to support animal rescue. The catch is you can't order anything - all items go up on their FB page (link below) every Sunday afternoon and it is first in best dressed. Snuffle mats go quickly. The group is also closed until 4/2 (we are all busy creating). I'm not sure what balls you mean but if you are talking about pom pom kind of balls (tried to add a pic but file is too large) then yes I will be putting them up on the page too. Not sure what price but maybe $5. Both items are handmade and we aim for quality!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/960472634022102/?ref=bookmarks

Edited by Little Gifts

@Little Gifts do you follow Chihuahua Rescue on FB, because they are always showing pix of the dogs and snuffle mats?  The only thing that worries me about them as they are made from those black mats that you buy in places like Bunnings.  The smell of them is terrible and I can only think of the toxins that must be in them.  If someone could allay my fears about that I would really like it.  I don’t have any need for them now, but seriously thought of getting one for Orla as she spent most of her waking day “snuffling” around looking for food.  

Something I have also been thinking about in relation to you and Tempeh, if you do following CRQ they have someone who makes a garment similar to thunder shirts for anxious dogs and these seem to work a treat as well.  

Gone a bit OT, @animallover99 :o, but the CRQ is worth looking at in any case LOL.  

Polite Paws sell the Wooly (mat) which looks good - easy to clean.

Snuffle Mats Australia look very high quality but postage is a particular killer. It was why I decided to make my own... but then I bought the wrong type of fleece which of course added to the overall cost of my (ginormous, regrettable) project! Oh well the dog now has some luxurious blankies. :heart: 

I don’t know how your rescue fundraiser group don’t lose money making them, LG?!

In any case, definitely buy a mat/ball, don’t make them!

Signed,

Still in the process of cutting strips 18 months later. :eek: 

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Thanks DDD! Craft 4 Paws is actually a supporter of Chi Rescue. Often people buy products on the page and have them donated on to a rescue group too, which is lovely. I will check about the smell but there have not been any complaints come through behind the scenes. She buys those mats in bulk and I suspect they come through a business link rather than as a retail purchase. She's quite fussy so I can't see he being happy with toxic mats. But as I say I will check.

And thank you for the thunder shirt suggestion - I will see what they have on offer!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Snuffle Mats Australia look very high quality but postage is a particular killer. It was why I decided to make my own... but then I bought the wrong type of fleece which of course added to the overall cost of my (ginormous, regrettable) project! Oh well the dog now has some luxurious blankies. :heart: 

I don’t know how your rescue fundraiser group don’t lose money making them, LG?!

Signed,

They are savvy sourcers - fleece in bulk at the best price and the same with the mats. I suspect they get both items wholesale through where some of them work. They take bloody hours to cut the strips and then tie/knot! and the lady makes at least 6 every week for the group! Like me they wouldn't factor in time to make because it is a charity fundraiser rather than a business. C4P also seems pretty good with postage - actual charges (no handling fee and they let people hold open bags so they can fill them over a couple of weeks before posting). 

Guest crazydoglady99
2 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Signed,

Hahahahahahahahahaha

It's only hilarious to me because ummm... I may have also attempted to make my own and got 2 rows in.. and I actually have no idea where it is right now hahahahahahahahaha

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks for the suggestions all! Muchly appreciated.

I did look at snufflemats Australia! And Snuffler on furleggedfamily. Maybe I'll try the latter? See how they go!

No fbook for me LG, it's just too toxic. 

Edit - I just looked at politepaws, there's looks good too!

Edited by crazydoglady99

DDD I messaged them and they gave me his details. Still not sure if it is worth going down that path as last time having her in the air cond with a heavy blanket weighing her down actually worked whereas the compression wrap didn't and a shirt may not either. Still weighing up the options. Think we have another storm coming now because Tempeh has started crying so we'll get to try out the blanket compress again.

As for the mats C4P use they do source from Bunnings but have a process for washing and airing them out before working on them and say they have had no complaints on smell. I know I made mine from a camping mat sourced from Anaconda that Stussy chewed the corners off (I made the corners rounded). It is charcoal covered and has never smelled. I washed it before turning it into a mat because it had been camping a few times but it never smelled or I wouldn't have even used it. I am asthmatic and tend to be a bit iffy about certain odours too.

Animal Lover hopefully you will get what you need from one of the places mentioned on here!

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

I ordered 2 snugglemats this morning from furleggedfamily website. Now if only I could time travel so they'd arrive now hahaha

On a totally unrelated note.. I came up with a (mostly healthy) vegan brownie recipe a while ago, and everytime I make it I think of you and your sister. So if you'd like it, happy to pm it to you.

Edit for spelling because my phone thinks it's smarter than me!

Edited by crazydoglady99

2 hours ago, animallover99 said:

On a totally unrelated note.. I came up with a (mostly healthy) vegan brownie recipe a while ago, and everytime I make it I think of you and your sister. So if you'd like it, happy to pm it to you.

I am not sure why, I must have “liked” at some stage, but vegan recipes from BOSH keep popping up on my FB page.  Yesterday they had an incredible one for avocado brownies.  

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=bosh vegan

I love the Bosh boys! Someone was having a real whine on there the other day about their use of avocados saying they were being bigots buy using something the marginalised and people in poorer countries can't use. What the?

Animal Lover were you referring to me re the brownie recipe? I hope so! I'll send you a message!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crazydoglady99

Our snufflemats have just arrived!

Very excited, but can't test them out yet as the rubber mat smell is sooo strong. I feel ill just from the smell opening the parcel :vomit:

A few trips through the wash first I think!