Stud fee + semen fee - AI - what is usual practice?

zillycat

Curious - is it usual to charge a stud fee plus a fee for frozen semen to be used for surgical AI? What is reasonable? Simply breakdown - bitch returned for repeat mating following dog not mating at previous season this time with plan to proceed to SIA. Resultant small litter. Stud owner asking for fee for semen equivalent to already paid stud fee. Is this cool? Or not? TIA for response

Edited by zillycat
Typo

You should have come to an agreement on whether a fee was payable before the ai was done.   Agreements between the owners of the dog and bitch are whatever is mutually acceptable, there is no hard and fast rule.   Did a mating actually take place the first time the bitch went to the dog?   If there was a mating there is no obligation for the owner of the dog to offer a free return  (you pay for the mating not the result) but most breeders offer a free return as a courtesy.   If no mating took place but you paid the stud fee anyway, then you should not be expected to pay for the semen for the ai as you have already paid the stud fee.

Can't 100% follow your post but I pay a stud fee for the frozen semen, all costs for transporting the semen to my preferred vets and then for the FS to be implanted, plus all prog tests etc. My last breeding the associated costs were higher then the stud fee. Your post reads that you sent the bitch back to the stud dog owner for the surgical implant. Are you sure the stud dog owner is asking for another stud fee or is it for the AI costs? As for litter size, FS is always tested before implant and unless it was found to be problematic then litter size is up to the bitch.

On 11 January 2018 at 11:38 AM, Rebanne said:

Can't 100% follow your post but I pay a stud fee for the frozen semen, all costs for transporting the semen to my preferred vets and then for the FS to be implanted, plus all prog tests etc. My last breeding the associated costs were higher then the stud fee. Your post reads that you sent the bitch back to the stud dog owner for the surgical implant. Are you sure the stud dog owner is asking for another stud fee or is it for the AI costs? As for litter size, FS is always tested before implant and unless it was found to be problematic then litter size is up to the bitch.

On 11 January 2018 at 7:02 AM, Oggidoggy said:

You should have come to an agreement on whether a fee was payable before the ai was done.   Agreements between the owners of the dog and bitch are whatever is mutually acceptable, there is no hard and fast rule.   Did a mating actually take place the first time the bitch went to the dog?   If there was a mating there is no obligation for the owner of the dog to offer a free return  (you pay for the mating not the result) but most breeders offer a free return as a courtesy.   If no mating took place but you paid the stud fee anyway, then you should not be expected to pay for the semen for the ai as you have already paid the stud fee.

Thanks  Oggidoggy and Rebanne - lesson learned - we did not have a contract..... There was no mating the first time (stud fee paid) and we returned for Surgical AI. Following whelping the a fee for semen has been requested. All vet expenses paid by me. I really did not expect a fee almost equal to the stud fee for the semen. my query was - is it usual to pay both a stud fee and a fee for the semen for AI?

Edited by zillycat

no it is not usual. I had a bitch miss and the next time around the dog was hurt so we used FS. No extra stud fee of any sort paid, just all the vet costs. I don't know how they can claim a stud fee if no mating took place. A small handling fee for having the bitch at their home is reasonable.

Find it difficult how now people seem to think a stud fee is for a mating....  In the past a stud fee was to produce puppies... which meant usually two live pups. 
Stud Owners used to receive the bitch and handle the matings (usually 2) and even put up the bitch for a few days - the bitch owner would pay for the dog to either fly etc to/from the dog. If no live pups were produced then a repeat mating would be allowed...  Payment was usually made at the time of the mating although some stud owners would get half fee and the balance on the birth of litter.

Also cost of mating was "Once Upon A Time" price of one puppy - but then, that was before all the extra costs being added to the bitch owner. Such as:   Much more often outrageous Vet bills, DNA, hip elbow, progesterone testing, pregnancy X-rays, microchipping costs, extra litter registrations, much higher expectations for puppy packs etc.

In reality now a Stud Dog Owner often seems to think they are owed the price of a pup... no guarantee... no vet costs.... no comeback...

I suppose the idea is now we can't trust each other to offer a fair deal... and hence ideally we need everything in writing.

• Like 3

My sister had a bitch who wouldn’t stand for a mating, so she ended up doing surgical AI with frozen semen. She did pay an extra fee for the frozen, so yes, stud fee + vet costs + frozen semen fee. Can’t remember how much extra it was, can find out if it’s of interest. 

ETA The frozen semen fee she paid was $250 on top of the stud fee ($1400) so not like in the OP where it was equivalent to the stud fee

Edited by ish
  • Confused 1

Seems to me just greedy stud dog owner, unless of course the OP did not pay anything for the missed mating.

If I had visiting bitches and no puppies resulted from the mating I always gave a return mating free.

Stud fee paid on the first time around.

I have used frozen imported semen and only paid for the stud fee plus transport to Australia, not two lots of stud fees.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yup sounding like greedy stud dog owner... im currently in the process of using australian frozen semen i will be paying 
stud fee 

half of collection cost (as breeder keeping what i dont need, which i was happy with as i only had to pay half) 
50 release fee from thier vet

100 accepting fee from my vet 

then all the usual breeding costs ... but i never paid anything different then i would have a normal mating (of course frozen semen needs to be collected and sent so that cost is of course on me) 

and im the same as mentioned above, when i have stud dogs i charge a stud fee, payable whenever you want and in return you get my signature. if there is no puppies then no fee. i charge maybe $20 fuel if i have to pick up and drop off and airport and feeding one extra dog for a few days costs stuff all so i dont charge that after all if there is puppies im going to be getting a large stud fee so why would i charge a few $$ for some food.  people are getting very greedy now days when it comes to studing out their dogs