Alternatives to collars of shame to stop getting at injury

BDJ

Hi all,

I have a collie with a hot spot on her rump, which she wont leave alone.  

She is wearing one of those plastic collars, but when it is long enough to stop her getting to her hip, it is that huge that she can only drink out of a bucket, and normal stuff (laying down, eating,  walking through doorways etc) is quite an ordeal.

Does anyone have any ideas on an alternative?  I cant cover it (difficult spot and the air needs to get to it), so it is all about stopping her using her long (and lovely) muzzle to get to it :-)

Perhaps something that tastes awful that can go on open skin?  She had a steroid needle last night, and is on tablets and topical cream, so if I can get her to leave it alone it will clear up quickly

I will give the vet a call and see if they have any ideas, but thought the brains trust may have some ideas

thanks

I like the sound of the inflatable e-collars, investigating that now, thanks

Muzzle would not work with her as she would just use the muzzle to scratch it rather than her teeth :-)

ta

• Like 1

Initially I felt horrible using the plastic cone  so purchased an inflateable one but it didn't work and it seemed more uncomfortable. Finally I went back to the e collar and she got used to it and within a couple of days she started using it to her advantage to boof everyone out of her way and as a barrier from the others to scavenge any dropped food. 

I wish i had stayed with it to start with as when I was trying it with the inflateable one and doing collar off time she got to the wound and it prolonged the healing time considerably. As soon as I just stuck with the e collar it healed quickly. 

Maybe try try a size smaller if it is too big.

• Like 1

I can tell you right now that most inflatable collars do not stop long headed or long muzzled dogs from reaching abdominal etc injuries, so if your collie is a rough collie you need to use something different. If she is a bearded collie or a border collie I'm not sure if the inflatables suit or not, ask your breeder!

thanks all - yes, she is a rough coat collie

I have decided to stick with the cone.  I was able to take it off for a few hours tonight as she was in my direct eye line constantly whilst watching tv etc.  She is not trying to get to it every 2 mins, but is very quick when she does decide to try to chew it.

She is a lot happier with the cone tonight - not delighted :-), but navigating better and has stopped the hangdog look :-)

thanks

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Have you tried those sprays which are so nasty they stop them biting?  

Depending on the wound they might be too stingy. 

I was using woundgard on Monty when he broke his claw, but the vet said that would actually be really quite painful. :( 

(it’s an antiseptic bitterant spray) 

• Sad 1

I looked at putting something on it, but it is looking so much better that I didn't want to risk it becoming sore (she ignores it when I put the cream on, so I don't think it is painful at the moment).

But just to make life more interesting (gee - don't they realise I like boring :-)) she appears to have developed a bit of incontinence.  She was laying down this morning without the collar on having a sleep, and when she stood up she left a puddle (only saw it because she was on the timber floor).  I checked the spots she slept last night on the carpet - and yep, it was damp.

I believe it is just the meds she is on causing her system to be a bit out of whak (drinking more, not 'sleeping' with the collar on so when it is off she is sleeping deeply etc).  She is on antibiotics so even if it is a UTI it will be covered.  I will wait till the hot spot is fixed, and she is off the meds - if it continues then back to the vet.   She has not had anything like it before, so guessing it is related.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BDJ said:

I looked at putting something on it, but it is looking so much better that I didn't want to risk it becoming sore (she ignores it when I put the cream on, so I don't think it is painful at the moment).

But just to make life more interesting (gee - don't they realise I like boring :-)) she appears to have developed a bit of incontinence.  She was laying down this morning without the collar on having a sleep, and when she stood up she left a puddle (only saw it because she was on the timber floor).  I checked the spots she slept last night on the carpet - and yep, it was damp.

I believe it is just the meds she is on causing her system to be a bit out of whak (drinking more, not 'sleeping' with the collar on so when it is off she is sleeping deeply etc).  She is on antibiotics so even if it is a UTI it will be covered.  I will wait till the hot spot is fixed, and she is off the meds - if it continues then back to the vet.   She has not had anything like it before, so guessing it is related.

Is she on Prednisolone?  I had this experience with Bunter a couple of weeks ago!!! Luckily it was first thing in the morning and he had not moved around the house. I spoke to the vet and he said it was most like to be the Pred and to give it to him first thing in the morning.  Luckily it was only that once.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of what cause it with your girl.  Most likely the meds.   Gosh they keep us on our toes.  

• Like 1

Yep - she is on Prednisolone :-) :-(

I will just keep the bedroom doors closed which are the only carpeted rooms.  The living areas have rugs, but they can be cleaned of any accidents.

Also good news is that I dont think she even realised, so she wasn't worried.  She is a very clean girl, so if she realised what she did I think she would have been embarrassed and upset (yes, they are human emotions, but hopefully people understand what I mean)

thanks everyone for your suggestions

• Like 1