lump in my boys mouth, suspect melanoma/ osteosarcoma

Hi All, It's been a while since I've visited dolforums but I'm looking for some advice with oral tumors.

Sniper is my 7 year old Dobermann, the week before christmas I noticed a small grey lump behind one canine on his lower jaw, I thought it looked a bit dodgy because it wasn't sore to touch and I assumed that an ulcer or cyst would be painful. We were on holidays and I couldn't see a vet until after new years and also couldn't do much googling being out of reliable mobile coverage a lot of the time so didn't worry too much about it! 

I consulted a locum vet (only one available) and she tried to get a FNA on the lump but couldn't find anything except blood and bacteria so put him on a course of antibiotics. I thought that something bacterial was pretty unlikely because of the lack of pain and sure enough the antibiotics did nothing. The lump has grown rapidly, it's on the outside of the lower canine and grey and lumpy but also on the inside of that tooth there is swelling which extends into the centre of his jaw. They grey lumpy bit now bleeds when Sniper plays with is toys although he is still without pain and can still manage to chew up bones although my impression is he tries to keep it on the lump free side.

Tomorrow Sniper is going in for a biopsy, from my research I feel like the diagnosis should included chest xrays and lymph biopsies and that ultimately the lump needs to be removed because even if it isn't malignant it is still fast growing and bleeding and therefore not something I want to leave in his mouth. 

The vet doing the biopsy is another locum but supposedly one who has experience with this kind of thing and will be around for a few weeks at least to make the diagnosis, then I think I will chat with my regular vet who is on holidays and who is a holistic vet to talk about options.

I'm basically fearing the worst but trying to prepare myself and also think about how I will pursue treatment for Sniper. I alternate between wanting to aggressively pursue all potential methods of treatment : mandibulectomy, chemo, radio therapy and immunotherapy, and then other days when I think I should just let nature take it's course because the prognosis won't be good even with all that treatment if its malignant. 

Anybody been through this before and have any advice, especially what to ask tomorrow? Results for biopsy could take a week or two and the not knowing is doing my head in :( 

Hoping for the best, @DesertDobes.  My only experience with mouth cancer is from many many years ago and with an already compromised and elderly tiny dog from a pound.  He was with me for nearly a year and during that time had a happy and pain free life.  Towards the end, the only changes I needed to make was to make his food sloppy.  Only at the very end was he in any discomfort or pain.  

Thanks for the well wishes :) 

He's having his biopsy and chest and jaw xrays right now, got a nice text from one of the vet nurses to say they were just about to start and they would look after him for me, made me a bit teary (again). Sniper marched into the vet full of excitement, that makes it a bit easier.

Vet was excellent in explaining the process and has lots of experience with oral tumors which put my mind at rest that I'm doing everything I can at this point in time. 

Will update after I hear if there was anything on the xrays

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We lost our beloved Rogan to mandibular osteosarcoma when he was about 10 years of age. He was 3/4 Shepherd 1/4 Kelpie.....or so I presume as he came to us from Sydney Dogs Home. It's a bastard of a disease.

I fervently hope and have everything crossed that Sniper's report and diagnosis is favourable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Trifecta, all these oral things sound terrible. Did Rogan last long after diagnosis, the vet mentioned that some of these oral tumors have a survival time of less than six weeks. 

At the moment we still don't know what Sniper has.

Pathology results were inconclusive, there are some cells present that are associated with growth in the bone socket for the tooth that are over-reactive but not cancerous. The xrays show possible loss of bone density but not the swiss cheese appearance of an osteosarcoma(?) 

There is swelling of the bone but that is inflammatory apparently, like when you get a bump on the head. 

So for now we are just watching and waiting and probably repeat the process again in six weeks if that's in his best interests. I've attached a photo, this was after his biopsy so the intial outer lumpy bit is missing but you can see the swelling near the canine and extending in towards the midline of his mouth. Thats the inflammatory bone swelling. Most of the growth is in between the canine and the premolar behind it.

Anyway he's happy and eating/ playing normally at the moment and there is a small chance it is nothing so at the moment I'm just spoiling him rotten, I patted him non stop for two hours through a movie the other night haha, everytime I tried to have a rest he would look at me and whine or paw my hand- naughty thing! 

snipergrowth.png

• Like 6

@DesertDobes Rogan was diagnosed at Eastertime, around April, and lasted until August when the mass had become so large he put his tooth through it when chasing a rabbit and the bleeding could not be stopped. In that space of time his face had become quite disfigured, but metastasis had already occurred in the lungs when I first noticed the pea sized lump on his jaw. I have to say from the photograph, this is nothing like what Rogan had, and there are numerous types of oral tumours.

Not sure if CavNRot still visits the forum but she is a mine of information on oral tumours.

Wishing you both well and looking forward to good news.....

@trifecta

Sorry to hear that..... I think it's very early days for Sniper, the lump has grown quite a bit even in the past week and is now looking quite red. Not sure if it's ulcerated but that is one thing the vet said to look out for as a progression of what ever it is. 

Yes, in my internet research and taking to the vet I have become aware of all the different mouth tumors, unfortunately I think the fact it's in his mouth means it will interfere with eating, drinking and playing if it keeps growing. 

I don't think it's bothering him as yet but it's hard to tell, I know he has a high pain threshold anyway. I'm trying to be aware of if he is licking his chops more than usual or rubbing his face- anything unusual that could indicate he is in discomfort. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about Sniper Desertdobes. I had a boxer who had a lump in her mouth which turned out to be cancerous. The vet said that once it had ulcerated it was kinder to let her go because whenever she ate she would get food caught in the ulcer and that would be painful. I gave her her wings. She was 11 which is a good age for a boxer. Good luck with Sniper. I hope your diagnosis is good news. He is so young.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know @sarsplodicus

The first vet we went to told me Sniper was old for a dobermann and I thought he isn't really. His Dad passed away just recently at 12 years of age and mum is same age and fit as a fiddle. 

I'm going back to our regular vet next week to discuss palliative/ pain relief options, I don't think we would do the biopsy and xrays again as I don't want to have half of his jaw removed and that is the only treatment option. 

I've attached a (blurry) photo of what it looks like now, a cherry red colour all over. 

snipergrowth07022018.jpg

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

We've had a sad few weeks, it seems this tumor has really taken off.

Sniper is still in very good health otherwise (Bugger actually ran off on me a few days ago following a scent while we were bush walking and it took me an hour to find him) but the lump is very big now. He can still close his mouth as normal but there are big ulcers, mainly where the tumor is in contact with something else like his upper lip. 

I'm just taking it a day at a time, as long as he is happy to eat and still likes going on walks and playing then I think he's not suffering too much. I also don't notice him licking at it or really making any indication it's a problem for him. This is a dog who licks everything so I don't think he would suffer in silence.

We started Apocaps and K9 immunity plus to help his immune system fight the tumor, our holistic vet has given us some traditional chinese medicine too. I feel like maybe in the last few days the tumor has become less red, and maybe smaller but that could be wishful thinking. The ulcers have been a problem, I've been putting slippery elm on them before and after food and walks but I'm going to ask the vet for something stronger. I tried putting a cotton bud soaked in Aspirin on it last weekend, Sniper seemed to like it but not sure it did anything. I was trying to remember if Aspirin stings on a normal mouth ulcer?

Anyway, that's where we are at. It is about 10 weeks since I first noticed it and seven weeks since he had a biopsy.  

snipergrowth23Feb.jpg

Oh, poo :( That's not  happy news  for you . You know , being a dog, and having no real understanding of what  all this means  is a blessing for our companions . Really . 

Glad he's still 'LIVING' life :) , being adventurous and enjoying his food :) 
take care .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, persephone said:

You know , being a dog, and having no real understanding of what  all this means  is a blessing for our companions . Really . 

Glad he's still 'LIVING' life :) , being adventurous and enjoying his food :) 
take care .

I do think about that a lot, it would be great for us humans to go through life the same way! 

• Like 2