lump in my boys mouth, suspect melanoma/ osteosarcoma

I picked Sniper up yesterday afternoon and he was super happy to see me. He was sound asleep when the Vet took me around to the kennels to get him, the Vet said "Sniper, your mums here." and Sniper didn't move and I was worried about how much pain he was in, or that he was really out of it, but once I said hello to him he went crazy! He was crying and all wiggly bummed and he kept looking up at me like "I thought you'd left me forever!". The nurses came out to give him a cuddle good bye and he wasn't very grateful but I think he was worried they were going to take him back.

He's on a lot of pain relief but is eating like a horse and seems quite comfortable, and he has pain patches and anti-inflammatories for a while. The Vet did such an awesome job, even though Sniper is missing three teeth and some bone, his profile looks the same as before, not even any swelling really. Almost the best news is that he will be able to have bones again in a few weeks, he hasn't been able to chew anything for a few months so I think he will really enjoy that.

Hopefully the pathology is good. 

Now I am extremely poor and will be living off baked beans for a month while I pay off my credit card!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DesertDobes said:

Hopefully the pathology is good. 

Now I am extremely poor and will be living off baked beans for a month while I pay off my credit card!

Wonderfully descriptive post, DesertDobes, to which many of us can relate.  I am sitting at my computer grinning like the Cheshire Cat.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quoted Sentence 1:  All DOL is hoping that.

Quoted Sentence 2:  You are not alone !!!!

So excited for you and Sniper.  Looking forward to the updates.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yay for Sniper!!! Best news/outcome ever!

Please give him hugs from all his DOL fans... I'm sure he'd like that... *grin*

Oh... and one can get quite used to baked beans when we know it's for a good cause... lol!

T.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 1:23 PM, tdierikx said:

Yay for Sniper!!! Best news/outcome ever!

Please give him hugs from all his DOL fans... I'm sure he'd like that... *grin*

Oh... and one can get quite used to baked beans when we know it's for a good cause... lol!

T.

Yep money well spent! 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Wonderfully descriptive post, DesertDobes, to which many of us can relate.  I am sitting at my computer grinning like the Cheshire Cat.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quoted Sentence 1:  All DOL is hoping that.

Quoted Sentence 2:  You are not alone !!!!

So excited for you and Sniper.  Looking forward to the updates.    

Haha I know there are LOTS of impoverished dog owners!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news :(

The lump was a spindle cell sarcoma. Highly malignant and likely to metastasize to organs. The results also indicated that the sarcoma cells extended to the edge of the biopsy sample so quite likely that they didn't get it all. The Vet surgeon used a burring tool to remove it so thinks there is a small chance that he might have got clear margins but unlikely. So now we watch and wait. 

Good news is that Sniper is still fit and healthy, very happy and the surgery has definitely improved his quality of life, so I still feel like it was the right decision for him. 

Please cross all your fingers and toes for him that it doesn't come back.

• Thanks 1