Looking to get a Blue Heeler, need advise please

Heya, hopefully this in the correct place.

We lost our dog (passed away ) recently,  due to ill health, she was an 8 year old ridge back cross we got from RSPCA.

We miss her immensly :(

We are outside of Bundaberg, have 3 acres of fenced land, we, (well me really, wife is still upset regards last dog) are looking for information on whether a blue heeler, Cattle Dog, or what ever its correct breed is would be ok with us.

Would be taken for  a long walk each morning, very rarely left alone for more than an hour (we have to go out shopping), almost constant walks around the yard.

Seems to be tick free, two horses up behind us, has a few snakes, toads etc.

Are we a reasonable couple to keep  a blue heeler happy, 

Vet insurance will be gotten, and local vet is 20 minutes away.

Thanks you 

Stephen

Oh and we are in our early sixties, no kids around.

Edited by Stephen_Bundaberg

I lost my old blue boy last year, he came from the pound as a pup and was one of the best dogs i owned, i still miss him everyday. they are very loyal ,smart, pretty healthy allround dogs.

i have tried to get another mature one a few times this year, but hasn't worked out, the last one turned out to be bad with other dogs, in suburbia was a disaster.

I'd have one again in a heartbeat if i could find an older stable one , but the good ones don't seem to get rehomed and i am not keen on puppy route again.

i would see if anyone on here can recommend any breeders , around my area there are "Allrounders ACDS"  i know the breeder but she isn't having a litter till later in the year, but you could ask her to point you in the direction of a good breeder near you.

I personally love the breed.

Edited by juice
  • Like 1

I had a Bluey for many years he was a working dog and my companion, he was the best dog I ever had. Saved my life one day.

They can be over bearing and barky when bored, they need exercise and interesting things to do, like kelpies they are smart.

My Ringer had a double coat which helped with ticks, if your on the coast you will have ticks.

They are wonderful companions for families if well trained, that doesn't take long because they are smart, but it needs to be done for your and your dogs safety.

They are like all dogs, with training and love, they become part of your family and that's what you want in a dog.

Have a look on DOL breeders page or go to a show in your area and meet people with healers, that's the best way to see if one will fit into your family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen_Bundaberg said:

Yes, but does my situation fit the needs of the dog

I have emailed a local breeder of Cattle Dogs, an hour away, so look forward to hearing from her also.

Thanks

Stephen

I've never owned a Bluey but your situation sounds pretty perfect for any dog!

• Like 2

I think your situation sounds perfect for an ACD.  I have owned two and they have lived long lives.  They need physical activity but mental stimulation is even more important.  They do have a little bit of a stubborn streak but are easy to train.  They do things like if you want them to sit in a certain spot, they will sit a foot away from it.  lol

They are very loyal and love best to be with their humans, which is inside.  Yes they can be barky but if someone is home most of the time you will be on to that straight away.  There is a lot of information on the internet about setting puppies up to make wonderful companions which involves training etc.

Good luck in your search.  :)

• Like 1

What people haven't said is that blueys can be mean.  I don't know enough to say whether it's genetics or environment but I've known blueys that are pretty harsh dealing with strangers, and have met people who have been badly bitten by them.  Herding cattle isn't a job for softies.  I've met soft blueys as well...so in looking, pay a lot of attention to temperament.

• Like 1

You just missed out on Tosca, a glorious ACD cross with Found Hearts in QLD who has just been adopted.
Your situation sounds perfect for a cattle dog, they are really loyal dogs that can become a bit of a nuisance if left to their own devices too much, so some one willing to let them be at their side most of the day is perfect. As said above, mental exercise is more important that a lot of space to run in.
And don't forget they come in red as well as blue!
If you look in the Dogzonline Australian Cattle Dog breed index you will be able to navigate to find breeders in your state, those advertising puppies ready to go or due soon (a couple in QLD) and also, older dogs for sale - don't overlook these either!
Lots of luck finding your new companion!

• Like 2

My experience with cattle dogs is that they can be anxious, but I feel a lot of that is likely to be the result of understimulation. They are a true working dog, if you don’t give them a job they will find one. The ones I have known can chase horses and nip them, hence why they are called “heelers”, so the dog will need to be trained and also the fence will need to be secure, you don’t need angry horse owners at your back fence. 

Other than that yes your situaion sounds fine for the breed, the main thing is that you are aware of their needs and are willing and able to meet them :) a good breeder will help you and make sure you get the right dog. 

• Like 2

I know some have questionable temperaments so be careful . Make sure the parents have solid temps . 

I think you sound ideal for one . I had one in suburbia , my neighbour had 2 , he came from the country and they adjusted as he took them to work and they were by his side constantly . His red boy was 21 when he died. 

• Like 1

Sometimes breeders are bad at answering emails, i had a nightmare trying to get mY last dog, they just don't respond! try calling.

And aske to see parents, don't be afraid to walk away if they are dodgy, there are plenty out there.

• Like 2

I hven’t owned a cattle dog, but I have owned German shepherds and border collies, and I’ve had friends with cattle dogs. Like you, I live on an acreage, and somebody is usually at home with the dogs.

Cattle dogs can have strong herding and territorial drives, and these are at their peak in adolescence, so you should plan ahead to manage these.

i like to leave my youngsters in a closed run with a food-filled kong on the few occasions when there is nobody at home. This keeps them away from the boundary fences, where they might bark at nearby livestock or kangaroos, and reduces the risk of encounters with snakes. When we’re inside, we have the dogs inside with us - for company and their social development, and to keep them safe from snakes. My youngster, a brittany, goes into a crate at bedtime or when we can’t supervise her. (Although she’s now reaching the age where that’s not necessary.)

The devil finds work for idle paws, so training is essential for a puppy’s mental stimulation and  an owner’s peace of mind. My youngster has short (5 to 10 minute) training sessions several times daily, which started when I brought her home at 8 weeks old. These aren’t limited to the routine heel-sit-stay exercises; we also work on retrieving, nose work and anything else I can think of to provide mental stimulation.

• Like 4