Looking to get a Blue Heeler, need advise please

My Ringer caught one once, she got ill but survived. My fault I hadn't trained for them. But if you train to leave and keep inside at night you should be ok.

You need to do that anyway to get pup out of situations that will hurt.

They are smart dogs one bad experience cured my dog, not that I wanted that to happen, it was dangerous. She was never interested in snakes. Just macadamias and cane toads oh and tractor tyres.

Edited by gillybob
  • Like 2

I have a cattle dog cross.

She has met  the occasional cane toad and pretty much left it alone - but every dog is different - you'd want to supervise (no licking). 

She's not good with snakes... I haven't given her the opportunity to find out if she will deal with them the same as cats she doesn't know ie stay out of reach and bark a lot, or if she will have a go.   She likes to carry mice around and then let them go unharmed (mostly) same with crickets (tho they didn't always keep all their legs).  But another cattle dog I lived with would dispatch rodents no problem.   So different things for different dogs.

Many cattle dogs can be dog aggressive with dogs they don't know.  And they are legendary for letting the burglar in with a smile and then not letting him leave - not so good when it's the meter reader or tradie.   One of their jobs used to be to guard their owner's saddle and swag.   They're really good at that.

Australian working dog rescue on facebook often has cattle dogs available.  So does petrescue.  But you might not know for sure what the adult temperament will be like if you get a puppy that way.   Foster carers should be good at advising what the dog they are looking after is like with other dogs, strangers and livestock.

And they are super smart - if you're not training them - they're training you and they are really good at it.

• Like 2

I had visitors at my place once, very unwanted ones,  they walked up a very steep hill for 2 ks to get to my shed.

Ringer did the smiley face when they came up and chased them back down that hill on the run. She stopped at the gate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, gillybob said:

I had visitors at my place once, very unwanted ones,  they walked up a very steep hill for 2 ks to get to my shed.

Ringer did the smiley face when they came up and chased them back down that hill on the run. She stopped at the gate.

This could happen with friends/ neighbors/ meter readers/ tradesmen as well as unwanted visitors. With an ACD, youu may end out having to train out some territorial instincts.

At the time I was living 30ks from town, she knew my friends and she knew they wernt friendly. I was living alone at the time as well. She did her job which was to protect me.

But they can get over protective so you need to be consistant with training.