Ticks???

Rascalmyshadow

Does anyone have experience with tick bites, took Rascal and Hugo down to the local botanic gardens last week and 24 hours later found about 15 small ticks on each of them.

We used advantix as advised by the vet and both of them had a three day course of cortisone, I have been going over them each day and have found a few more that don't seem to be alive but have still been attached.

Both dogs are still itching Rascal much more than Hugo, just wondering if antihistamines would be of any help or a particular shampoo/rinse, maybe even a longer course of cortisone.

It sounds like they are allergic to the saliva in tick bites. Or possibly, although less likely, as well as the ticks they have gambolled in some unfamiliar vegetation at the gardens to which they are allergic.

How long have you been using the Advantix? It is supposed to repel ticks. If you have just started it, check with the vet to see how long it will take to be fully active. If you have been using it for a while, maybe next month switch to a brand with a different active ingredient in case the local ticks have built up an immunity?

Meanwhile to soothe the remaining itch, since a short course of cortisone has already been applied, I would try a symptom reliever such as a Calendula Tea rinse or spray rather than more steroids or anti-histamines at this point.

Thanks il pick up some calendula tomorrow, maybe give them a wash in Aloveen then a rinse in the tea.

I've never used Advantix before, we only used it once we found the ticks, usually use Advantage or Advocate.

Rascal is severely allergic to flea bites and Hugo has anaphylactic reaction to bee stings so I guess they are both more likely to react to the tick bites.

On 18/01/2018 at 8:22 AM, Boronia said:

can you try Bravecto or Nexguard, one or three months coverage (depending on which one you get) in each chewy

Im not too keen on using either product with so many reported bad side effects, especially the Bravecto. I also don't need a preventative since I won't be taking them back there, I just needed the one off treatment to kill what was on them.