Looking for a dog for a friend

I live in Brisbane and have some neighbours who are looking for a dog. They have three kids who are often in their backyard and who love playing with dogs (they've borrowed ours before!). Their mother also likes to go cycling for a few kilometres every day and would like a dog who could accompany her. They want to make sure it's a dog that's good with kids but isn't going to need exercise all day and is happy to sit down with them for a while. Also, their nextdoor neighbours have chickens. They're hidden behind a wooden fence, but probably a dog that isn't going to go nuts trying to get at them would be a good idea. :-)

She'd also like a rehomed dog, rather than buy a purebred puppy, as she wants to give a good dog a home. :-)

Edited by Tornado

Except for the several kilometres cycling each day, a greyhound rescue would probably suit just fine. greyhounds are sprinters and walking several km daily is fine, but I'm not sure about cycling. As long as they cannot SEE the chooks, most greys won't be bothered about them (different story if they can see them). Check with your local greyhound rescue re the cycling.

I hope that your neighbour realises that she will have to slowly accustom the dog to the long cycle rides - in fact they will have to be short cycle rides to start with and gradually build up to long ones. Very few dogs will be adopted out with the level of fitness needed. This document might help your neighbour will building the dog's fitness and has other hints for cycling with dogs. :)

There are a number of excellent rescues in the Brisbane area - as your neighbour needs a specific temperament I would advise her to avoid shelters and pounds but to confine herself to adopting from rescues that foster care in each dog in family homes. Petrescue is a good place to start finding such rescues reasonably close to you.