Border Collie Breeder in NSW?

amirm

Hi everyone,

We are looking to buy male border collie puppy, preferably chocolate & white, red & white or tricolour.

We live near Chatswood in Sydney.

Can anyone recommend a good reputable breeder in NSW within 3hrs driving of Sydney?

Thanks.

I can't answer in regarding to which breeder but was going to mention to please make very sure they are health testing their breeding dogs.

There's a heck of a lot of BC breeders noted on the puppy pages but only a small percentage seem to be doing this testing (or advertising it anyway). 

Hopefully you can find someone who has a higher regard for temperament and structure with colour being not so important. You want to make sure your pet is going to have a lovely nature plus be healthy long term.  Good luck with your search..I love the excitement of puppy hunting! :)

• Like 1

Thanks Roova. Your points are very valid and it's something I'm conscious of.

The issue is that there are a number of BC breeders on DogzOnline and Dogs NSW, all of which claim full DNA testing of the puppy parents. It's not easy to know for sure which ones have the pup's best interest at heart and which ones are puppy factories, if you know what I mean.

It's a good guide if the breeders show or do performance sports with their dogs, or showcase puppy buyers who have done this .. that will sometimes be apparent from their websites.   Although my present puppy has a lot of NSW lines behind her, they are predominantly Black/White lines, so I can't really help. Your best bet is perhaps to try contacting some breeders on DOL that you think might be OK,  and asking some questions, as well as having some ideas of what you want to do with your future pup.

Oh, and I would be prepared to be more flexible than "3 hours driving form Sydney" -- that limits your choices significantly.    Both my current dogs have flown from interstate, with changes of plane on the way .. no problems.   They have also travelled long distance by car as babies, with no problems.  Just saying.

One of the standard pieces of advice we give is to go along to a show and have a look at some dogs, chat with some breeders .. but for the most part they will be Black/white, Blue/white or possibly Red/white or maybe occasionally Black Tri.