Blacktown City Animal Holding Facility? A question

Does Blacktown adopt to first come after they put up a dog for adoption?  Or do they have foster care for some, before they're adopted?  Or do they permit Rescue groups to take dogs...who'll then foster & rehome?

There's just been a pretty, happy natured Tibbie girl put up for adoption.  We shared it around the Tibbie pet community.  But couldn't figure how their system worked.   Quickly... 'on hold' label came up.  Then when someone else enquired, she was told that person hadn't showed up so Tibbie was back up for adoption.  Someone else enquired & seems to have been told something like the 'girls have taken her for care'....could that be a rescue group?  But a note's gone up she's adopted.

Anyone know how Blacktown works?  

She is on their FB page as adopted . 

Its basically first in there , rescue is always last in the que I believe , they don’t foster out any dogs . 

It is also possible that the name on her didn’t show , rescue was only other one and she has gone there , but they normally say so . I can shoot a message and ask if you like . 

11 minutes ago, juice said:

She is on their FB page as adopted . 

Its basically first in there , rescue is always last in the que I believe , they don’t foster out any dogs . 

It is also possible that the name on her didn’t show , rescue was only other one and she has gone there , but they normally say so . I can shoot a message and ask if you like . 

Please do, juice.  Thanks.   The confusion's come because one enquirer said she was told something like the Tibbie was taken into fostercare.  So we wondered if that 'adopted' meant taken by a rescue group.   If so, what rescue?   Or if it means  just what it sounds like.... someone applied for her & adopted her.    

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, juice.  It's looking v. much like she was adopted straight from the pound & someone got a mixed message.  I bet if she was around for a rescue  to take....Denise's rescue would've been on to her in a flash.  Just their kind of doggie!

• 3 weeks later...

It is first in first serviced with adoptions and ones they go up for adoption they don't usually go to rescue anymore, they keep them until they are sold.  I have actually adopted a couple just to get them out, which isn't that bad because they come desex, vaccinated, chipped and lifetime registered.

Jill

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had first hand experience of a mix up in “labelling” from a pound and was alerted to it by a vigilant DOLer.  Not Blacktown, but Sydney Dogs and Cats Home.  A little dog had gone to a rescue group and I ended up fostering.  SDCH labelled the dog as adopted which, I think, is really poor administration because it stops people from looking at the dog further.  When this was pointed out to SDCH, they did amend.

This thread was started a while ago and I can’t imagine a Tibbie would last long at a pound or in rescue before being adopted, but it is still worth pursuing @mita.  

• Like 1

Thanks, DDD & JRT.  All info welcome, especially for later similar situations.  The mix-up in this case seems to be just the use of one word in an enquiry phone call... 'foster'.  It was immediately assumed the tibbie had been taken into Rescue.  But seems the gorgeous creature was snapped up straight from the pound.  

• Like 1

I was there last week to look at a dog for a rescuer , labelled a Tenterfield , was a backyard bred chi x jack , that had been used to Byb till being offloaded st 12 . They had half the pound off limits as now you can’t see the dogs till they have done their time . Rescue has to buy them , unless they are in a bad way and need heaps of vet work then they  call them . But bloody cheeky . 

2 minutes ago, juice said:

I was there last week to look at a dog for a rescuer , labelled a Tenterfield , was a backyard bred chi x jack , that had been used to Byb till being offloaded st 12 . They had half the pound off limits as now you can’t see the dogs till they have done their time . Rescue has to buy them , unless they are in a bad way and need heaps of vet work then they  call them . But bloody cheeky . 

Not cheeky, really sad and cruel.   

They sent an email out to everyone who had been working with them. Between the lines, it was don't call us, we'll call you. 

"Additionally, we are moving our focus to work on our adoptions and Foster Care Program."

They are currently gearing up to become a mega-pound http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-27/sydney-council-reveals-plans-for-animal-rehousing-facility/8846510

"Additionally, we are moving our focus to work on our adoptions and Foster Care Program."

Ah ha!  What Powerlegs posted from their email may solve what happened for the Tibbie.  There was mention of foster care in an enquiry phone call.  But we assumed that meant he'd been taken by a Rescue.  They could've been referring to their own Foster Care.  But undoubtedly, such a cute little dog would've been quickly adopted.
Edited by mita

4 hours ago, juice said:

Mita, there are 2 tibbies at the RSPCA at yagoona atm.

Thanks, Juice.  Spotted & being circulated around the Tibbie community.  I've heard they're gentle, well-mannered senior girls who look half their age.  Pity they weren't in Victoria.  There's a lovely retired lady whose 18 yr old Tibbie went to dog heaven & who wants another.  Perfect place but wrong state! 

19 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Any chance to work around this, I wonder.  RSPCA is the same body, just State branches.  

Different administrations in the various states.  RSPCA Qld allows interstate in well screened circumstances.  But experience with NSW, not.  So spreading the word in NSW about these gentle girls.   The lovely lady in Victoria has been introduced to another & it's a great match.  Can't resist showing you the pic of her honey boy.

28461602_10156081432242456_113598753_o.jpg

• Like 1