Keep flies off dog ears - they're irritating them

Poor Thistle! I thought we had it beat but the recent hot weather it's come back. The flies are landing on her ears and either biting or making her scratch them, resulting in some scabby ears!

I've given her a bath to get rid of smells and been spraying the ears with a fly repellent which works on the normal summer days but these 35-42c days, the flies seem to ignore it!

Just tried some petroleum jelly on her ears but she's inside for the evening so cant comment on the effects yet. Hoping Thyme doesn't lick it off.

Can any one offer other suggestions to try if this doesn't work?

No I cannot keep her inside while I am at work. Wouldn't want to either. I got home and it was down to 35 post cool change but still 42 in my lounge.

2 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Like for kids? BE cute an functional i'd hope! they are only little ears :'( 

We get GSD in boarding with terrible ears ,we just buy the zinc cream for the supermarket,thick and white cost us .

Spray wise go to a good horse stockist or stockfeeds there are some great stuff for horses that works for dogs to repel flies 

i found the horse spray ones way better, i used to spray them all over everyday, and their beds outside and kennel inside, worked a treat with 5 big dogs outside. however i also made sure i kept the patio where all their beds were really clean, hosed it down everyday and washed bed covers everyweek.

Now i just have one spoilt indoor dog.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, juice said:

i found the horse spray ones way better, i used to spray them all over everyday, and their beds outside and kennel inside, worked a treat with 5 big dogs outside. however i also made sure i kept the patio where all their beds were really clean, hosed it down everyday and washed bed covers everyweek.

Now i just have one spoilt indoor dog.

Second this as a great help. Clean environment  (although I'm sure Thistles mum runs a tidy ship). Short grass & even some ikky fly zappers or traps to just help a bit.

Flies are such complete *insert 4 letter word of choice*. Our dear old rotty cross was always a target for them, had to work so hard to just keep him comfy :(

No . I had to make the call to rehome jack , I had always wanted a stag and thought with my heart not my head . 

He needed space to run , in suburbia it became impossible as he was like a coiled spring waiting to go off . He also played sight hound style which scared Zelda and she couldn’t cope with him . He went to an older couple who live on acres , near the coast with another stag and gets to run on the beach everyday . He is very happy , I miss him , but at least I got him off the chain he was on and to a great life . I am waiting for another bully from Zelda’s breeder , as also tried 2 older cattle dogs which didn’t work either , so decided to stick with what I know . Mad bully’s ! 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, jemappelle said:

Another vote for the purple horse spray.  They look so cute with purple ears.  lol  It's also an antiseptic so helps the sores heal.

that is the repellent i am using! her ears are a lovely pink but the flies are just ignoring it :'( 

positively stylish!

thyme is licking the jelly off her ears, she let's him. no thyme please don't!

i will see if any of the local stores are selling these other horse sprays for her beds.

to my shame my grass is quite long in areas right now, that heat has been defeating me! i believe it is only 24 c tomorrow so i will try to get it mowed then. first...going to bunnings for a pool repair, maybe see if a bug zapper i can put near the preferred kennel.

stupid flies making her ears all scabby!

My horse was getting welts even though I was using permoxin liberally every day. So now I drown in permoxin and do a light spray with flygon. Flygon is the same as muscaban, muscaban is just hard to source at present. So, based on my outcome, I'd do a combination of the two on your ears. Permoxin kills on contact, flygon should keep most away.