Buying a puppy interstate

Suej

Hi, I am new on here, hope someone can help with my query. I am in WA, how safe it is buying a puppy online from NSW, breeder says she is a member of MDBA. Do people usually fly over to view the dog or how do I know it's legit. Thanks

Edited by Suej

I would suggest you double check the ethics of the breeder ,be mindful many French Bulldog breeder joined MDBA due to breeding colours that are not recognised but this org accepts ,do your homework carefully ,if there asking crazy price based on colour run the other way .

I do believe buying this breed sight unseen is a high risk .

If you proceed make sure you have a return contract set up after getting it vet checked .

I would suggest a good wait from the right breeder a good option in this breed ,also check healthing testing and ask why there not members of Dogs NSW 

There are puppies advertised in WA on this site .

Also talk with someone from the French Bulldog awareness group of WA ,there knowledge and advice could save you big $$$$ or head down to the dog shows in Perth starting next week to talk to the Frenchie people 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

I would suggest you double check the ethics of the breeder ,be mindful many French Bulldog breeder joined MDBA due to breeding colours that are not recognised but this org accepts ,do your homework carefully ,if there asking crazy price based on colour run the other way .

I do believe buying this breed sight unseen is a high risk .

If you proceed make sure you have a return contract set up after getting it vet checked .

I would suggest a good wait from the right breeder a good option in this breed ,also check healthing testing and ask why there not members of Dogs NSW 

There are puppies advertised in WA on this site .

Also talk with someone from the French Bulldog awareness group of WA ,there knowledge and advice could save you big $$$$ or head down to the dog shows in Perth starting next week to talk to the Frenchie people 

100% agree. 

I expect my puppy buyers to meet me and my dogs before they go on the waiting list. Interstate people may not meet the litter but I have to know they are a good match for my breed and my ethics as a breeder. Given I support them for the life of the pup I have to be sure I can get along with them ok too!!!

• Like 1

Should also say there are 3 other registries that have a lot of French Bulldog breeders are joining because it’s easier to register and no limitations on colour being accepted .

Also understand the different registries.

For example if you want to show the only registration that’s is accepted is Ankc bodies ie dogsnsw,dogswest ,people are getting misled as to what mains and limited means and thinking they are buying a pup that is suitable for certain things when it isn’t .

My advice applies to any other breed bred under these registries,infact I have just seen a for sale post for WA for  Frenchies registered under ICBS  ,the wording of the add if not savvy is worded to confuse people again into what true mains/ limited papers means 

Edited by Dogsfevr

As this breed is in plentiful supply and has health issues i wouldn't touch one unless i could see its parents, health checks and view the pup, too many chances of things going wrong, and the huge price tag on them could mean you are up for a fortune if its a dud.

• Like 2

the scammers are out in droves again so it's an excellent idea to visit your breeder first and check their details as Airedaler suggested

http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Buying_or_selling-Online_shopping_scams-Facebook_puppy_scams.htm

this is a good site and it may be worth contacting them

https://www.frenchiesaustralia.com/spot-a-scam

and this FB group, even though it's USA it has some good tips:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539231249684807/about/

I know of two ANKC registered breeders in WA that I would want to buy from, they have been breeding the Frenchie for many years and do all the tests needed to breed strong healthy babies, I know that you would have to put your name down for a puppy from either of them, be prepared to jump through hoops with questions, but the wait would worth it.

Please do not buy a puppy sight unseen.

I am now retired from breeding Frenchies after almost 36 years with them, so do know reputable breeders around Australia.

• Like 4