We say goodbye tomorrow

Rascalmyshadow

For anyone that would like an update, tomorrow we give our little chi girl Claudia her wings.

Things seemed to be improving (although her breathing didn't get better)after high dose cortisone, she started behaving more like her old self, however it was only for a short time, the last few days we've had sudden aggressive behaviour again, a couple of weird shaking episodes (not her normal cold shivering), then last night my husband noticed her eyes looked different, when I checked this morning she has a lump above her eye with swelling around the outside of the eye, seems to have come up very quick.

Just to make everything worse her grade 1 luxating patella has become so bad she can't use her back leg properly.

After trialling everything the vets have suggested and with no other options left we have made the appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

I guess I knew this was coming but she's only 5, she should have been with us for 15-20 years.

For such a tiny dog we're going to be left with a huge hole in our lives.

No more making sure her heat mat is on the right temperature and her crate kept comfy with lots of clean bedding, no more making sure we leave extra blankets on the couch for her to snuggle into, no more looking before we sit incase she's asleep under a blanket, no more constantly checking where she is incase she's been locked in a cupboard etc, no more giving a mid day snack to make sure she doesn't have a sugar drop, no more having her run up my back every time she sees me bend over to tie a shoe, pick up something off the floor etc and no more having to pick her up or lock her up before anyone comes through the front door.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

We can never guess which dogs will have the greatest impact on us, some are only with us a short time but leave the biggest hole.

Life with dogs is about making those choices for them that they can't make and each time we wonder did we get it right.

Will be thinking of you today.

• Like 1

I'm also sending you and your family big hugs.  Even though Claudia is so young, it's the quality, not the quantity and I'm sure in your heart you know, you are doing the best thing for your little girl.  It's always a hard decision but rest assured, she is going to a better place to be free of her demons. 

Take care and know we are all thinking of you.:rainbowbridge:

• Like 1

thinking of you and little Claudia today.  As twodoggies said it is not the quantity of the time spent together but the quality of the bond that makes  such time so very painful. Playing god never sits easily on our spirits.  Granting Claudia a gentle leaving is a great gift that you are making out of love..  Claudia will always be part of you because of the path you trod together ... love and blessings

H

• Like 1

Such a sad time. My thoughts are with you. Reading about what you and your family have been through I understand that it has been quite tough for sometime. I do believe that you have tried your hardest for this little love and making the right decision is so very hard. But right. It’s a shame she is so young but I believe God takes all the good ones. Take care. 

Thinking of you.  I understand how hard it is, even tho' it's a gift to your little darling to be at peace.  Her life might not have been long but,  measured in the quality of life & love you gave her, it was her time of joy.  Hugs.

Sorry I haven't responded

to anyone's posts it's been a very hard week.  Our girl is now at rest surrounded by roses in our beautiful garden.

Not only did we have to say goodbye to Claudia but also to my husbands parents gorgeous Siamese cat Kai.

10 years ago she came into the vet I was working emmaciated, with infected eyes, bad teeth, cat flu and a nasty abscesses, her condition was so bad the vets wanted to euthanise, I took her home, got her well and my husband's parents adopted her, she was estimated to be at least 8 years old at the time.

Through out all these years she never forgot and would promptly park herself on my lap the minute I arrived or show off by tearing around the house like a crazy kitten.

Thankyou for everyone's support,  now starts a new chapter in our lives.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3