Need temporary care for my daughter's dog

Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

A lot depends on what kind of dog it is, age, care level required & how long you might think the process will take. 

I can see from your profile you're in SA-and there are a few members here who are more local & might have suggestions.

But, if it was me, and a family member wasnt an option, I'd be looking for someone -maybe through a local Facebook group as a starting point.  Alternatively a paid pet sitter might be an option.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

Hi Lydia, 

A lot depends on what kind of dog it is, age, care level required & how long you might think the process will take. 

I can see from your profile you're in SA-and there are a few members here who are more local & might have suggestions.

But, if it was me, and a family member wasnt an option, I'd be looking for someone -maybe through a local Facebook group as a starting point.  Alternatively a paid pet sitter might be an option.

Thank you I will look into it...appreciate the information you have given

35 minutes ago, juice said:

i personally wouldn't give my dog to some random i met over the internet. can you not put the dog in kennels?

It wouldn'tbe my first choice -but if family wasn't an option and I was looking at potential long term kennels I'd consider it. 

I'd be doing my checks - it certainly wouldn't be totally random. 

Tough situation to be in :/ 

• Like 1

If you're considering strangers have an agreement / written contract. Once you hand a dog over it's hard to get them back. Best of luck. :crossfingers:

edit; make sure the chip details are up to date with aa secondary contact as well. And the dog is desexed. Also make sure that you have an arrangement with a local vet to cover any bills. 

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1

If you are willing to pay board and any medical expenses for the dog but don't believe that the dog will thrive in kennels, perhaps contact one of the SA rescue groups and see if they can find foster care space to take on this dog as a fundraiser for the group.

Edited to add: of course if the dog doesn't get along with other dogs, kenneling may be your only choice. Your chance of finding someone with no dogs who has the knowledge and experience to house a dog aggressive dog is very slim, in fact is a  train wreck in the making.

Edited by RuralPug
another thought
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm an Adelaide dog owner and would consider having a dog stay short term but as stated it would depend on the type of dog, behaviour, 

care level required, social abilities, etc.

Hubby & I live quiet lives with our lay back 8 year old Wheaten.  He's an inside dog & sleeps in our bedroom, lies on the couch with us, and is a little sensitive to loud noises. We had 2 Wheatens, sadly lost one 2 years ago. 

If you're not having much luck, send me a message and we could at least meet and talk about it.  

We we live in Glenelg. 

Sue