Danaelion

Needed help with a dog breed/breeder

3 posts in this topic

Hello, my family was expecting a puppy from the sight “trading post” but unfortunately we were tricked. We thankfully got our money back after confronting the person. Now me and my family are still on the search for another dog. Sadly we aren’t sure what breed, we do have 2 miniature dachshunds (and a cat) but would like to try branch to another breed because it’s always nice to experience something different. We would ideally like a medium to large dog, my family and I would be able to give the dog around 30-40 minutes of physical exercise and an hour of mental, we have a fenced yard with a nice large lawn and 2 near by ovals that are also closed off. The dog will sleep inside on their own bed or on one of ours, what ever suits the dog. They would also follow a raw meat diet. I’m not very fond on a large amount of shedding, a little bit is fine. If there’s a dog with a medium length coat that doesn’t shed much, that would be amazing :). Thank you 

RuralPug   

I'm glad you are researching to choose a breed. Personally I'm not sure what medium to large breed would have a similar play style to mini dachshunds but I'm sure someone here will be able to recommend a breed or two for you to choose from.

Well done for choosing a breed that will fit your family, lifestyle and existing pets - but please keep in mind that the choosing part is not like choosing a brand of washing machine where you can then go out and buy what you want soon after you have chosen it. You have already had one narrow escape from being cheated out of your money. Choosing where to buy your puppy is full of pitfalls - the most common trap that befalls people is assuming that the puppy they want will be readily available. 

Once you have chosen your breed, you need to learn what health testing ought to be done on the parents of your puppy before it is born, what the test results should be so that your puppy will have the best chance of the longest and healthiest life and which breeders are careful to produce the healthiest puppies in that breed.  Then you can choose your breeder and settle down to wait.  It can often happen that the most responsible breeders have a very long waiting list. The average waiting time for a well-bred healthy puppy will vary from breed to breed - in some breeds you may have to wait years just for a pet puppy.

Best of luck in your search!

• Like 1

RuralPug   

@Troy  please may I suggest that this thread be moved to General? It doesn't really belong in here and I think the poster will get a lot more suggestions if it is in General. Thank you.

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typo