Breed compatibility for Shar Pei

Ahlisha

Hey there. 

I have a beautiful Shar Pei - zeus - who is very gentle, calm and non aggressive. He is nearly one. I want to get him a little sister but was wondering what is the best breed to go with a Shar Pei?

we love zeus, but he has had so many health problems (mainly eyes) that we would be reluctant to get another Shar Pei. 

TIA :)

i would say it depends on his play style and what you want in a dog too. Does he prefer any particular type of breed ?is he ok with dogs getting in his face or prefers them to be polite, mine hates little dogs, terrified of them, always loves every lab she meets because they are full on like her!

Also be aware that 12 mo is still juvenile.  Aggression may develop later.  Shar pei get a mixed review with respect to getting along with other dogs.  I would avoid getting another male, and as in previous posts, watch his reaction to other dogs.

I think you have the best chance with breeds that are typically friendly and non-territorial: eg, gun dogs, hounds.

Another question you need to ask is puppy vs mature dog.  Has he ever been around a puppy?  If so, is he gentle/protective?